We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

J L
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

Hi everyone

We will be visiting both Melbourne and Sydney this November and I noticed that both cities have its own respective Zoo (Taronga vs Melbourne's), Aquarium and Observation towers (Eureka skydeck vs Sydney Tower Eye)

We should have time to visit all of these attractions but I was just wondering what the general consensus was with regards to each attraction. If we visit Taronga zoo for example should we not bother with the one in Melbourne or vice versa etc

Any feedback would be great especially those who have been lucky enough to do both!

Thanks a lot

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

Hmm tough one. Taronga Zoo has amazing views of the city and you can do a ferry ride to reach it, but I'd say Melbournes enclosures are a tiny bit better. Melbourne aquarium is newer, I found Sydney's one a little underwhelming to be honest.

Sydney tower again has better views as you have the Harbour, Melbourne is a very flat city so there isn't a lot of variation. Eureka is a considerably taller building though and has the cube, where you can look straight down.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,105 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

As far as zoos are concerned, I'd put in a vote for Taronga in Sydney for the views and the location and Healesville Sanctuary in Melbourne for it's Australian native animals.

I agree with LOstris about the aquariums - Melbourne hands down over Sydney.

Hmmmmm- skydeck vs Sydney tower? I wouldn't bother with either. Great views of Melbourne from the bar on the 35th flood of the Sofitel. Melbourne is not really a city that has a great setting like Sydney. Terrific views of Sydney from the Harbour Bridge Pylon, North Head and Bradley's Point, Mrs Macquaries Chair or the Blu Bar.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Healesville Sanctuary
Healesville Sanctuary
1,689 Reviews
Healesville, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
Sofitel Melbourne on...
5,582 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Sydney Harbour Bridge
Sydney Harbour Bridge
11,576 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
North Head
North Head
343 Reviews
Manly, Australia
Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

In terms of the towers both cities have different aspects to them so if you can do both, I doubt you will be disappointed with either of them. Unable to comment about Taronga Zoo, however the Melbourne Zoo, Weribee Park open Zoo & Healesville Sanctuary are all run by the same people, giving a Very high standard experience for visitors. If wildlife is an interest you enjoy any or all of the Offerings here will not disappoint you.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne Zoo
Melbourne Zoo
5,808 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Healesville Sanctuary
Healesville Sanctuary
1,689 Reviews
Healesville, Australia
Country NSW
Level Contributor
18 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

Hi I definitely recommend a visit to Taronga Zoo and Sydney Tower. Beautiful view across to the City from the Zoo and you can catch the ferry there across the Harbour. The 360 view of Sydney from the Tower is amazing too. Maybe do both towers as someone else suggested as you will get two very different views and aspects. Enjoy your holiday!

Mentioned in this post
Taronga Zoo
Taronga Zoo
5,814 Reviews
Mosman, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney Harbour
Sydney Harbour
19,105 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bendigo, Victoria...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

Hi,

Sydney is very overwhelming. Not the best spot if you get Sea/Bus sick - lots of boats/water/buses.

Melbourne is calm however not great again for bus travelers.

I'd say Melbourne wins by about 20pts as it is not complicated and hard to get around.

Hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,867 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

That's quite a margin.

I agree that Melbourne is a better planned city, but centre of Sydney is quite walkable without the buses/trains/ferries.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Level Contributor
84 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

Zoos-

Taronga has prettier views but you'll get those same views from many other places. As far as the zoo goes Melbourne is better

Aquariums-

Melbourne's has great seadragons (native to the area) and great jelly fish and I havent been to Sydney's

Towers-

Sydney's is more picturesque, like Sydney. Melbourne's is good but you also get a great view from the top of the Shrine (for free) or from the sofitel.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
8. Re: Which attractions are better? Melbourne vs Sydney

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 06:20