We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Hubby and I are heading to Melbourne Grand Final weekend. One of our teams will be in it (Cats or Hawks) but we won't have GF tix unless a miracle happens.

So I thought I'd ask what's a great place to watch the big game?

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

the Swans will do the Hawks so you would be better off in Sydney

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

well I'm hoping the Hawks won't even be in it, and with Tippett out and the rest of the Swans' injury woes I reckon the Dockers will be losing to the mighty Catters!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

We (as Swans fans) were lucky to be at the GF last year. There was a reasonable crowd gathered at Federation Square before the game to watch it on the big screen there despite the inclement weather.

Not so confident well be there this year, but you never know, it can be a funny game sometimes! #GoSwans!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Pubs all over Melbourne will be showing the game, you won't be short of options. Some start as early as 10am with a Grand Final breakfast!

Some places are first come first served and will fill up early. Some places will allow you to book for a fee which will include something like party pies at half time and cheap drinks.

If it's a nice day, watching the game on the big screen at Federation Square is always fun. If Hawks make it, Glenferrie Oval will most likely set up big screens for fans to watch it there. Geelong would do the same but that would probably be at Simonds Stadium.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 11:30
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Thank you all so much for your comments. We've been lucky enough (or foolish if you count all the times I begged and almost sold my soul!) to have been to about a dozen grand finals between us. Included in that are the hideous memories I have of 94 and 95 and then the sheer ecstasy of 2007! I can't imagine a better feeling than that first time so I haven't bothered to seek out or pay ridiculous amounts since then. Nevertheless there's something so special about the atmosphere in Melbourne GF weekend that I want to be there and immerse myself in it.

I didn't know about Fed Square broadcasting it. I can picture rushing over to Young & Jacksons at half time for some nerve calming tonic! Can't wait, thanks again.

Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Good luck to your team, (whichever one wins...) don't dismiss Docklands depending on where you stay, the Woolshed Pub is a great place for a cool drink & a meal. They have a couple of huge TV Screens specifically for sport, it's next to Etihad Stadium, a tram stop 100 metres away, and sure to be bopping on GF day. (The Woolshed Burger is worth a try)

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Brilliant Docklands TrikeMan, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thank you! Their website describes their Grand Final day proceedings in enough detail to let me know it's the place for us :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Hello Barrydoll, and thanks Trikeman, this is Lee from the Woolshed Pub in Docklands.

The woolshed is Definately the right palce for Grand final day, The venue is huge so we have plenty of space to kick around, great big open decks with a BBQ throughout the afternoon, other wise the Bistro is Open 11:30am - 2:30pm for lunch.

During the match we have some fun sweep stakes etc and the venue is decked out in all the footy colours.

Post match we have a live band which gets the venue jumping.

Best bit about all this is that entry is FREE!

Doors open from 11am, look forward to seeing you there!

Cheers Lee

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Hi Lee, thanks for your post. We actually snuck over to Melbourne on Friday just gone too, to watch the preliminary final, and we road-tested the Woolshed Pub for a few hours by watching the 2012 Hawks v Cats game on the TV in the afternoon from the comfort of the lounges, followed by a very quick and early dinner before heading off to the footy. We're pleased to advise that the road-test passed with flying colours and we'll definitely be back this Saturday!

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question for AFL fans: where to watch Grand Final?

Federation Square is always a nice crowd to join in to watch the game on the big screen! But quite literally every good pub will have it playing. Go the Hawks!!