We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your feedbacks please!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Your feedbacks please!

Hello,

We are planning to spend 10 days around Melbourne during Christmas with my wife and 3 daughters(9,7,3).

I was thinking about spending:

- 3 days in Melbourne (stay in St Kilda?)

- 2 days in Philip Island

- 5 days along the GOR

Is it too long? especially in Melbourne and GRO? Is there anything you would advise?

I was maybe planning to fly to Transilvania... But that would reduce by a lot the tim

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your feedbacks please!

Hi,

It would depend on what you want to do while you're at these places. It will also depend on your mode of transport.

It is the busiest time of year for travel with many families heading to their beachside holidays in both Philip Island and the Great Ocean Road. All types of accommodation will be in high demand.

Assuming the weather is fine your children will have heaps of opportunity for beach play and sightseeing.

However I would book now. There will be minimum stays in some accommodation venues especially caravan and camping parks and holiday homes.

Yes, I think that flying to Transilvania will eat into your time. If you mean Transylvania in Europe. If you mean Tasmania I think you would have to prune off some of your GOR time, but I don't think you could do Tasmania justice in just a couple of days, let alone the time wasted in transit.

Cheers,

UF

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,245 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your feedbacks please!

There are no Vampires in Tasmania, but you can fly from Melbourne to Hobart www.qantas.com.au www.virginaustralia.com.au

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your feedbacks please!

Perhaps you caan you please give us more information on what you are wanting from your holiday? Otherwise, given your itinerary, it appears that you really want to enjoy the beach ( St Kilda= beachside, GOR = beach, Phillip Island=beach)

n.b. is there ay special reason why you are thinking of basing yourself in St Kilda? Pls be aware that it is an inner city beach and can be somewhat dirty. I am also a bit unsure about St Kilda at night for your kids as parts of St Kilda are in the red light district.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your feedbacks please!

I would not advise flying to Transylvania, given its in Europe, or Tasmania (which you most likely met) unless you cut out the GOR.

Tasmania has a lot to offer and going all that way for a couple of days is not worth it IMO.

I wouldn't base myself in St Kildare unless you have a specific reason. You can do a day trip out there. If its the beach you are after, Williamstown is much nicer and cleaner.

5 days is a good period of time for the GOR, you can get in many of the the major places - Torquay, Anglesea, Lorne etc. You should book ASAP though as these are very popular holiday destinations for domestic and international visitors

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,387 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your feedbacks please!

St Kildare, Ktsnowowl? Does it have a good young doctor?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your feedbacks please!

Seems like both the OP and I have both fallen victim to auto correct

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
7 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your feedbacks please!

Thank you very much for your answers.

Very sorry with the error about Tasmania! It was of course what I meant but the message was sent too quickly!

With young kids, the objective is to have outdoor holidays and being able to stay at the beach as often as possible as we cannot really go for long hikes.

Thank you again

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your feedbacks please!

I am very concerned about St Kilda beach for you. We visited only last Summer and my daughter almost stepped on a syringe (that still had blood on it!!) She was bare footed and we almost died of shock. Please be aware that St Kilda beach is dirty and as mentioned, parts of it is a red light district. Personally, if you were my friends or relatives, I would not be advising you to stay in St Kilda. Are you wanting to stay in St Kilda instead of the CBD? Or do you want another beach stay?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Your feedbacks please!

You don't need to be in St Kilda to be outdoors.

Firstly, by staying in Melbourne you have a much wider range of accommodation choices.

As for activities, being in Melbourne makes getting public transport to places like Wiliamstown Beach, Melbourne Zoo, Werribee Zoo, Collingwood Children's Farm and Puffing Billy so much more accessible. It also puts you right near Southbank and the Docklands, both which have many outdoor family activities.

Finally you will also have access to the free city circle tram, which will no doubt be a novelty for you all.

Dromana, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your feedbacks please!

Perhaps give St Kilda a miss if you have kids .. There are plenty of beautiful beaches further down the peninsula .. And on Phillip Island ... In Melbourne there is free transport to get around the CBD .. There is also the zoo .. The kids will love it and there is Scienceworks as well .. Always a hit with the kids.

The Great Ocean Road is Beautiful .. So much to see