We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CBD to Mornington Peninsula and Bells Beach in a day

Reading, United...
Level Contributor
96 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
CBD to Mornington Peninsula and Bells Beach in a day

I will spending 3 days in Melbourne next month. I was planning on spending days 1 and 2 in the city but would quite like to rent a car on day 3. Is it possible, in a day, to drive to the Mornington Peninsula, get a ferry across to Queenscliff and then drive to Bells Beach, then return back to the city on the M1 road?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: CBD to Mornington Peninsula and Bells Beach in a day

The Mornington Peninsula is quite a large area so it depends on what you want to do & see as to how doable it is. I often do day trips down there & by the time I've been to a winery or 2,, the Hot Springs & one other place, it's late afternoon. It's not somewhere you just drive through, you need to plan where you want to visit. Do some research to see what interests you. To do Bells Beach as well, you will want to be on the ferry mid-afternoon.

Keep in mind that some rental car companies won't cover you for any damage which happens on the ferry, so check the T&C's carefully for exclusions.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: CBD to Mornington Peninsula and Bells Beach in a day

It's not impossible but it would be a very long day with a fair chunk of it taken up just driving.

Depends on where you want to go on the Mornington Peninsula and what you want to see there. You would have to be down that way pretty early in order to see things before you got on the ferry.

It is of course your holiday and your choice, but I recommend doing one or the other and not both

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: CBD to Mornington Peninsula and Bells Beach in a day

I have to ask- why?

There's plenty to see and do on the Mornington Peninsula.

But unless you are a surfer making a pilgrimage, why do you want to go to Bells Beach? It's quite a small, uninspiring beach with a set of very steep steps down to water level and no a whole lot of sand. There are much nicer beaches on the MP both bayside and the back beaches on the ocean side.

4. Re: CBD to Mornington Peninsula and Bells Beach in a day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2014, 06:21