We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ballarat or Bendigo

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
3 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ballarat or Bendigo

Spending a week in Melbourne early November (catching some racing) and would like to do day trip to one of the mining towns. Does anyone have any advice re Ballarat or Bendigo?

Also thinking of going to National Rhododendron Gardens in Olinda. Will rhodos still be worth seeing at that time?

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,113 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

Ballarat.

For a real mining and historic experience be sure to spend a day and an evening at Sovereign Hill. Also visit the Eureka Stockade exhibition, the botanic Gardens and the wildlife park.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
13,153 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

I agree--there's more to see and do in Ballarat and BigW has listed some of the best things to see there.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

A third vote for Ballarat and the attractions listed by BigW.

It also has a number of good places to eat and stay and if you are after a mining town you can't do much better than where the Eureka Stockade occurred.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
622 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

I love both Bendigo & Ballarat but if I needed to choose one I'd go to Ballarat.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
130 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

Ballarat is physically closer by about an hour and has a specific place to visit and spend the day at - sovereign hill. Not a cheap visit, but you will definitely get a good idea of an old mining town.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

As to your question re the rhododendron gardens, the peak blooming season will be over but there will still be plenty of rhododendrons in flower. It's a stunning garden at any time and worth a visit. If you don't like to walk take the little train. It's a very steep garden.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

Bendigo has different attractions.

You can go up the old minehead at Central Deborah mine, then take the historic tram via the centre of Bendigo ending at the Chinese Joss house and musuem.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

I have been visiting these cities regularly since the early 1960's and love them both; for different reasons.

The attractions of Ballarat have already been mentioned.

Bendigo is different. There is the magnificent victorian era streetscape along Pall Mall. Then the huge cast iron fountain at Charing Cross. You can visit the goldmine at Central Deborah which is in the near southern suburbs. The catholic cathedral is a magnificent sight. I always remember my stay at the Shamrock Hotel and hope to stay there again on my next visit. Then of course there is the Joss House at North Bendigo. Bendigo has a rich chinese history which these days is centred on Bridge street. Particularly when there are festivals, of any kind, they bring out BOTH of their ceremonial dragons. Easter Monday is a particular case.

It is not either/or with Ballarat & Bendigo, you shoudl endeavour to visit both.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

I second Les' post. Both Bendigo and Ballarat are truly beautiful places to visit. Do try to visit both if you can.

Happy travels.

Sentosa Island...
Level Contributor
4 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ballarat or Bendigo

Ballarat. It is a picturesque area with interesting and quaint shops. Sovereign Hill is really a living museum.