We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

Perth, Western...
2 posts
Save Topic
Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

Hello,

To surprise my partner a big tennis fan, I brought tickets to the Australian Open men's semi finals 2014

First time to Melbourne/Rod Laver, I didn't realize until today that our seats PP are the back row with "limited leg room"

Has anyone had any experience from the nose bleed section of the venue? (We are block 37)

I've heard the atmosphere is amazing but worried I've spent a small fortune and will not be able to see much of the court at all.

Thanks for your time!

Mentioned in this post
Australian Open
Australian Open
158 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

We have sat there once and the views are fine but PP rows are a bit odd as they're the last row of the arena. This means you have a wall behind you which does limit you in some wierd way. It's a bit like sitting upright in a chair? There is also less leg room so it's not good if you're 6ft tall as you will definitely touch the seat in front of you.

But I wouldn't worry too much as you have got seats for the coveted men's semi finals! As a tennis fan myself, I wouldn't care less if I was sitting on the concrete stairs as long as I'm there. Besides, the atmosphere at the tennis is amazing so I think you won't even notice all these shortcomings. Just warn your partner beforehand and do lots of legs stretches in between.

Edited: 11 October 2013, 09:30
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

Yes, the leg room is somewhat limited but it's not like there is oodles of space between the other rows either.

I have sat in row PP myself and yes, they are not the greatest seats but you will still be able to see the court. One positive about the back row is you can stand up if you need a stretch and it won't matter whether play is on or not.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

Hi Meg,

Rod Laver is a great arena. You'll be fine seeing the court anywhere in there really. :)

Can I suggest if you are in Melbourne for the tennis, perhaps get a ground pass and go a day or two before the semis as well. A ground pass gets you access to every where but rod laver and hisense arena but there is so much to watch and do all around the grounds, you'll have a great time. There are booth/stall type places to check out, a beer garden with big screens of main court and hisense, the practice courts to see the players practising, Margret court for some great matches as well and lots more! Plus the garden with the big screen is just as good of an atmosphere when Aussies and big names are playing as centre court would be.

I go every year and I always get a ground pass. You can always upgrade later on during the day if there is a match you'd prefer to see on centre court or hisense, provided it isn't sold out before.

Have a great time whatever you end up doing!! :D

Aus Open is the best time of the year.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

Hi Meg,

Rod Laver is a great arena. You'll be fine seeing the court anywhere in there really. :)

Can I suggest if you are in Melbourne for the tennis, perhaps get a ground pass and go a day or two before the semis as well. A ground pass gets you access to every where but rod laver and hisense arena but there is so much to watch and do all around the grounds, you'll have a great time. There are booth/stall type places to check out, a beer garden with big screens of main court and hisense, the practice courts to see the players practising, Margret court for some great matches as well and lots more! Plus the garden with the big screen is just as good of an atmosphere when Aussies and big names are playing as centre court would be.

I go every year and I always get a ground pass. You can always upgrade later on during the day if there is a match you'd prefer to see on centre court or hisense, provided it isn't sold out before.

Have a great time whatever you end up doing!! :D

Aus Open is the best time of the year.

Edited: 12 October 2013, 01:13
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

I sat in row pp on my first visit to rod laver to watch Michael flatly riverdance many years ago. The stage was on the sideline (rather than the baseline where thy normally are) so we were sitting in the furthermost point. View was still very good. Must say it is one venue where you get a good view in most seats.

As mention, seating is a little tight, but on a positive note, if the roof is open and sun shining, you may be spared the sun glaring into you're eyes

Tickets to the open usually entitle you to free tram rides to and from the city on certain trams...worth checking out

Enjoy the open!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

Oh yes, totally forgot - as AMP has written, your PP seats are completely shaded at most times so you will be out of the scorching sun. This is definitely an unexpected bonus. Hoping for a Nadal /Djokovic final....

Perth, Western...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

Thank you all so much for your responses!

Absolutely cant wait! Thank you for the advice will definitely get a ground pass and take in as much as of the atmosphere as I can!!

And yes Peter fingers crossed for a Nadal / Djokovic final!

Thanks again!!

8. Re: Australian Open 2014, Row PP seats at Rod Laver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:20