We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carols by Candlelight

London, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Carols by Candlelight

Hi all,

We will be in Melbourne from 22 Dec to 25 Dec. We are a family of four and are wondering if it is worth going to Carols by Candlelight. Does 'general admission' without reserved seating mean sitting on the grass? Do I have to arrive hours in advance to secure a decent spot? Thank you very much in advance.

Extremely looking forward to the trip and your replies.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
211 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carols by Candlelight

I have not been for many years but from what I recall yes general admission is on the grass. The queue would start early in the afternoon.

If you can find the web site they normally hold a full rehersal the afternoon/evening or 2 before and that was just a few dollars. It was really good.

There are a lot of people who go but sit outside and still have a great time.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carols by Candlelight

People generally start arriving as soon as the gates open. Most bring a picnic rug, a picnic basket and food and drinks.

The Music Bowl isn't that big, and the sound system is excellent. People living nearby on St Kilda Rd can hear if they open their windows!

Even the 'worst seats in the house' aren't too bad. I'm pretty sure that for C by C (it's been a while since I went) there are also big screens on either side of the stage.

It's a great family night out. Take blankets, jackets and umbrellas if the weather looks dodgy. It can get cold sitting on the ground for hours on end.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carols by Candlelight

If actually go to the rehearsal instead. I've been the last few years and enjoy it much more. The presenters have a bit more fun and goof around a bit more, its no where near as packed (although its still pretty busy) and it doesn't takes as long to get out once its finished. It's a gold coin donation to enter.

Eitherway, this is the best link to keep an eye on

visionaustralia.org/fundraising-and-voluntee…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carols by Candlelight

Hi everyone, we are going to the Carols rehearsal night on Monday 23rd Dec. We have never been to any event at night at the Myer Music Bowl. Can anyone please suggest where we can park, preferably closer to the bowl as will have our kids in tow. We are happy to pay for parking but free parking is always nice.

And what time would we have to get there to get a half decent seat?

Also, are their gelati vans or food vendors selling items on rehearsal night ?

Edited: 06 November 2013, 08:02
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carols by Candlelight

to add to my post above - 'thank you in advance' (edit function timed out on me!)

Plus thanks to Christopher B & KTS for sharing about rehearsal night - I am a Melbourian and had no idea that this option even existed. Gotta love TripAdvisor. Cheers, PW

Edited: 06 November 2013, 08:05
Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carols by Candlelight

There is parking on Alexandra Avenue, which is the closet entrance, but it is limited and always goes really early when there are events on at the SMMB.

I would go the other side of the Gardens and try either Linlithgow Ave or St Kilda Road.

Not sure how old the kids are but the other option is to park at Rod Laver Arena/Melbourne Park and walk across the Yarra and into the Gardens, its about a 10-15 min walk

London, United...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Carols by Candlelight

Thank you everyone for the replies.... I've just booked tickets to the main event on the 24th. Very much looking forward. If it says doors open at 4:30pm and event starts at 8pm, when would be a reasonable time to arrive while being able to secure a decent spot to see the show? Thanks again!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carols by Candlelight

Get there as early as possible! There will be a line at 4:30pm when it opens.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carols by Candlelight

Hanging around for hours might be a bit trying for the kids.

I would suggest that one of you goes early and spreads out the rug, sits back and reads a good book while the other entertains the kids for the afternoon. Turn up later with the kids, perhaps in time for a picnic dinner on the grass. Bring something warm to rug up if the weather looks threatening. It's a late night.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carols by Candlelight

Re: rehearsal night: will I still need to arrive at 4.30 for rehearsal night too? Also, does anyone know if there are food vans for either night? Thanks, PW