We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

booked a non refundable airline ticket

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
booked a non refundable airline ticket

I accidentally booked a flight from tokyo to cebu on the wrong date midnight last night. I called sta travel and they told me its non refundable and non changeable. :( is there anything else I could do? They told me its a promo ticket but how can it be a promo ticket when its only $25 cheaper than the other one being sold at that time with the same airline?

A colleague told me to just keep trying but im feeling im out of luck here.

Thanks in advance!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

The best you can do is keep trying. You may come across someone who is willing to help you out but I wouldn't expect too much - when you booked the ticket you would have clicked the little "yes I have read and I accept the T&Cs" box which would have stated that you were buying a non-refundable and non-changeable ticket.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

Little to no chance.

Non Refundable and Non Changeable means just that. Did you read the T&C? It's depends on the type of ticket your agent sourced through the carrier, often it can be much larger difference than $25, but the amount in the end is irrelevant. Either try to adjust your travel dates, or wear the loss and put it down to experience.

Unfortunate mistake.

Edited: 24 October 2013, 06:30
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

Late add.

Is the ticket from Tokyo to Cebu a return?

If so, can you adjust your travel date for at least the onward journey?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

If you booked it through STA then I think your chances of changing it are zero.

They are just a travel agent and by all accounts not that helpful. The ticket would have to be changed by the airline and you opted to deal through a third party - mistake number 2.

As MelbTraveler and KVE have said, either change your travel dates or suck it up and put it down to experience.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,613 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

Just be aware ... if it's the outward journey that is wrong and you rebook another flight your return flight may be cancelled due to your no-show ... so don't assume you can get your return flight if you don't take the outbound.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
321 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

Nah its a one way ticket as im going back to melb via KL.

Yeah I pretty much accepted ive wasted about $354 and charge it to experience. :/

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

That is the whole problem with cheap airlines and promos, as long as the operator has got your money they could not care less about you the passenger, once bitten, twice shy. It happened to me once, never again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,048 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

It can happen with any airline, not just LCC's. and it's being done so with full disclosure. It is most unfortunate, but the purchase was an agreed transaction, and user error on this occasion. Not the fault of the airline

9. Re: booked a non refundable airline ticket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2014, 05:19