We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

England
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

I have 9 nights planned for the area next January. We arrive on a Saturday and up to now only have the following Friday booked up for the Open Tennis. I am considering the Melbourne Parkview hotel as a base when in the City. Does anyone have any comment on this hotel? I also want to fit in a self drive tour of the Great Ocean Road. Is it worth going to See the penguins at Phillips Island as well or are the one's at St Kilda a good substitute. This stop is part of a six week holiday which includes Sydney and a few weeks on New Zealand so we have plenty of time to see mountains etc elsewhere. Any advice on itinerary will be most welcome. We are an active 60 yr old couple,

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

If you just want to see penguins, then I'd see the St Kilda ones and use one day for a day trip somewhere else like the Yarra Valley or Daylesford. If there are other things on the way to PI or on PI that you want to see then drive down there.

The good thing about 9 days is that if you do an overnight trip on the GOR and a day trip somewhere else, you still have plenty of time to see Melbourne so it will really come down to personal preference.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

Have you read the reviews concerning the Parkview?

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g255100-d257…

The Parkview is not located in the city center. But it is a short tram ride from the city along St Kilda Rd. So be aware that you will need to catch a tram or walk about 30 minutes to get to the city.

As for the Penguins, I agree with Ktsnowowl. Phillip Island is a lovely attraction in it's own right. But if you just want to see penguins, then St Kilda pier is sufficient.

The other point is, January is our peak tourist season and the coast and beaches will be very busy with holiday makers. Areas such as PI and GOR will be exceptionally busy.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

The Parks Victoria website …vic.gov.au/explore/…changeOfConditions says the breakwater is currently closed until late 2013.

Does anyone know when it is actually scheduled to reopen

Considering as an alternative to Phillip Island in case we don't feel like a long drive

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

oh........thanks for that Mymsman, I did not know that. I cannot think of any other penguin viewing other than PI. Maybe someone else can?

England
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

Thanks for that. i will do some research on those locations mentioned

England
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

I was looking for a decent hotel for a reasonable price which was both close to the Rod Laver Stadium and the centre. Do you know of any other recommendations for hotels at all?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

You need to give us a budget per night so we can give you recommendations.

The Hilton opposite the MCG would be closest location wise but that doesn't necessarily make it the best hotel. It's easy enough to get to Rod Laver Arena by public transport so anywhere in the city will be fine for you.

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,896 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

Although Parks Victoria website still says the breakwater is closed the Earthcare website says it is now open for Penguin viewing earthcarestkilda.org.au/news/…

I emailed the Parks for clarification but haven't had a response

9. Re: Melbourne and Great Ocean Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 06:20