We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

Hi,

I will be driving from Melbourne to PI. Will start off in the morning at 10am.

Plan to reach PI in the afternoon to check in hotels and penguin parade in the evening.

Wondering if there are any interest stopovers in between ? small towns, etc ?

1. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2013, 21:43
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

Depending on your interests: the Royal Botanic Garden in Cranbourne is well worth a stop - it is uniquely Australian and entry is free. You could take a detour and travel a pretty route via Loch, Korumburra, Leongatha, Inverloch and Wonthaggi. This route takes you inland through rolling hills and along the coast at Kilcunda, then arrives at the Phillip Island turn off. Loch is a small historic town with lots of original buildings. At Korumburra you could visit Coal Creek (free entry). Inverloch is a pretty beach town. At Wonthaggi you could visit the State Coal Mine - go underground to see what it was like to be a coal miner.

Once on Phillip Island visit the Koala Conservation Centre, take a seal watching cruise or visit historic Churchill Island. There are a few wineries on Phillip Island - Purple Hen is small but very good. Leave yourself time before the penguins to explore the Nobbies.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

You've already got pretty much all the suggestions on the way there, my advice would be to drive straight there and actually spend some time exploring PI. It's a holiday destination in its own right and if you don't spend some time looking around, you may as well just go to St Kilda to see the penguins and not take the long drive.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

There's a couple of farms which are open to visitors, Warrock Cattle Farm & a dairy farm with a cafe (Caldermeade I think). I haven't been to either, but I visit Leongatha quite regularly & have noticed them.

Otherwise I agree that I'd be allowing more time for Phillip Island. The scenery driving through Korumburra is lovely though, lot's of rolling green hills scattered with cows at this time of year, but it is quite a detour.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

Just to advise that Park Victoria have advised that access to the penguins at St Kilda beach is temporarily closed due to renovations. Someone recently posted on TA about it recently. I can't find the original post but here is the link to the penguins in question: …vic.gov.au/explore/…little-penguins

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

p.s. I would also recommend spending the whole day at Phillip Island as there is plenty to see.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

On the computer now, so can post links:

http://caldermeadefarmandcafe.com.au/

http://www.warrook.com.au/

Hampshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Eastleigh, Winchester
Level Contributor
4,845 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

Although Parks Victoria website still says the breakwater is closed the Earthcare website says it is now open for Penguin viewing earthcarestkilda.org.au/news/…

I emailed the Parks for clarification but haven't had a response

9. Re: Any interesting stopovers on route to PI from Melbourne ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2014, 06:20