We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

I want to warn people parking at the airport of the dangers of parking for a very short time. This morning my husband in his rush, left keys in ignition and radio on - and locked the door.

He had to rush for his flight so I made the 45 minute drive from home to airport to take care of it so he wouldn't have to when he returned tired on Friday night.

RACV took 50 minutes to come and I waited for the battery to charge another 15 which took me just over an hour and incurred a cost of $39 to park. Shocked, I asked the office person who advised yes, over an hour is $39.

Of course nobody parks in the long-term carpark for less than a few hours unless there is a problem such as mine.

Melbourne Airport, Australian Pacific Airports (Melbourne) is clearly profiteering from people's misfortune. I should be grateful I didn't park in the "Value Long Stay" ($69! for 0-60 mins) or "Business" ($65)!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Melbourne Airport has always had very high short term parking rights.

You will not be suprised to learn that just over 40% of their net profit comes from car parking.

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
26 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Yes, I learned an expensive lesson today. My colleague said the same thing - "it's the single biggest source of income for the airport."

My point is, why gouge for these unfortunate events that happen to people? It's morally wrong. An old-fashioned idea I know.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Not say at all that it's right, but it's an airport and that's just what they do. It's like buying food inside the airport. What you spend on a soggy sanwhich and a cold coffee would buy you a day's worth of food outside the airport!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

It's not good, but the rates are clearly posted at the gate and unless you have never dealt with the RACV before you would expect them to take an hour or so.

20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing but I'm wondering why you didn't leave your car in the short term car park where the hourly rate, while still extortionate, is less?

You are a good spouse. I'd have left it there and let him call the RACV on his return to Melbourne. If you only charged the battery for 15 minutes and the car sits there all week, chances are he will have to do that anyway.

5. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2013, 14:04
Oz
Level Contributor
12,398 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Hi David D,

In a perfect world maybe but I think I'll buy some more shares.

melbourneairport.com.au/about-melbourne-airp…

Cheers,

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
402 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Sorry David but that's never going to happen! Ozrcflyer get on them.

Here's a true life story that could have been The Castle II. I was involved in the case for the couple and cannot even begin to tell you how hard the airport pushed! Parking revenue is the reason why we will never get a train from the CBD to the Airport.

theage.com.au/victoria/elderly-couple-give-u…

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Yep, I agree the aiort in Melbourne has travelers by the short and curlys.

Agreement with the Govt for no public transport till at least 2032.

Skybus is not really a viable option unless people are within quick and easy reach of Southern Cross

That leaves a cab (well over $100 from most parts of suburban Melbourne ) or the Airport Carpark.

Outrageous prices at the Carpark are mimicked by the so called "off airport competitors"whose pricing is always just a tiny bit cheaper than that at the airport.

A few years ago people were parking on the grass verge off the freeway before the airport precinct. Passenger arrives. Texts friends or family and they do a quick drive by and pay nothing for parking. Cars were well off the road and not a danger to traffic or an impediment to traffic flow. Suddenly, a couple of months later the 'No Parking' signs go up. The traveling public will never win out here.

Melbourne has to be the only airport in the world that is not served by any direct PUBLIC transport link between it and the centre of the city. Even the 901 bus doesn't go to the city.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Totally agree with all that's said about the parking parking charges at Melbourne Airport. And although a train would be nice, it will still end up in the city - maybe Flinders Street as well as Southern Cross, and perhaps a slightly easier transfer from other train lines, but not a dramatic improvement for suburban users. And do we really think there wouldn't be a "facility charge" at the airport (as in Sydney), given that the line near the airport, at least, will be underground and expensive?

However, in relation to post #8 about cars waiting to pick up incoming passengers, the new arrangements for a "ring-&-ride" zone (20 minutes free parking in the long term car park) do work quite well (see http://melbourneairport.com.au/To-From-the-Airport/airport-parking/car-parks/ring-ride-zone.html).

Edited: 29 October 2013, 06:13
10. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 07:31