We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

I want to warn people parking at the airport of the dangers of parking for a very short time. This morning my husband in his rush, left keys in ignition and radio on - and locked the door.

He had to rush for his flight so I made the 45 minute drive from home to airport to take care of it so he wouldn't have to when he returned tired on Friday night.

RACV took 50 minutes to come and I waited for the battery to charge another 15 which took me just over an hour and incurred a cost of $39 to park. Shocked, I asked the office person who advised yes, over an hour is $39.

Of course nobody parks in the long-term carpark for less than a few hours unless there is a problem such as mine.

Melbourne Airport, Australian Pacific Airports (Melbourne) is clearly profiteering from people's misfortune. I should be grateful I didn't park in the "Value Long Stay" ($69! for 0-60 mins) or "Business" ($65)!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,278 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

$39 ... lucky you. If you lived in Brisbane that would have cost you $55. Minimum charge is for 24 hours, so if you park for 25 hours that's $110.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,925 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

@gat,It's been a while since I picked anyone up at the airport. Good to see they have followed Sydney's example of a free limited time public pickup area and thanks for the info. Perhaps now Maccas customers will have somewhere to park.

Hope they don't experience the same problems as Sydney where the gridlock of traffic into the public pickup areas is such that sometimes its impossible to get in and out in the allotted time even if you don't park.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

My point is, why gouge for these unfortunate events that happen to people? It's morally wrong. An old-fashioned idea I know.>>>>>>

The car parking charge is paying for the upgrades to the airport according to the news tonight. The CEO of Melb airport would love to have the rail in and doesn't want to wait 10 years but Canberra think it is up to local and state government...so rail will be on the never never as always

14. Re: Melbourne Airport Parking Fees - Profiteering

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 04:18