We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

Hello, I am arriving in Sydney Dec.27 and will be staying there for approximately a week. I was wondering if it was worth it to take a bus/train to Melbourne or whether it is better to fly. Don't have a huge time constraint, but at the same time if the drive isn't scenic then I figure we may as well fly. It will be myself and a friend of mine, we are both in our late 20's. Thank you!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

You should fly.

If you had a car and could take the longer but far more interesting scenic route, then I would advise that. However, the bus will go straight down the highway and the train doesn't take a costal route either so it won't be a scenic trip.

The other thing to note is that train trips take about 10 hours and start at $100 pp, one way. If you keep any eye out on airfares, especially with Jet Star and Tiger, you could probably get a one way ticket for less and be there in 1 hour.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

Agree with KTS. I would fly also.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,951 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

I hope you have your accommodation in Sydney already sorted - you're coming at absolutely peak season (prices and demand) - over the NYE period many hotels are already booked out and those with availability may have a min number of nights required and prices are jacked up compared with other times of the year

the coastal drive to Melbourne is lovely but you will also have to contend with many holiday makers (and the same issues with accommodation - availability and prices - as in Sydney)

this thread tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255060-i122-k6… may give you some additional info about the drive between Sydney & Melb

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
16,307 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

Just for the record (because I have come to the conclusion that there's a lot of assumptions out there that started with specific information being wrongly repeated or extrapolated) I want to emphasise that the trip between Sydney and Melbourne is very worthwhile whether you do the inland or the coast or a combination. However making the most of it is dependent on having plenty of time and your own transport. So *in this case* I agree that flying is best.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

Well you could catch a flight direct to Avalon with Jetstar and then use Geelong as a base to visit Melbourne or the GOR!!!.

Mind you Melbourne is readily accessible from Geelong by train, whilst you could hire a car and visit the Bellarine peninsula and the Great ocean road.

I agree with the others driving is a bit of a hike either on the Hume highway or the coastal Princess highway.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

Agree with other posters to fly.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

Having done the road trip innumerable times and taken every conceivable route, I've come to the conclusion that flying is the only way to go. For two people, by the time you pay for a rental car and petrol, the flying option is cheaper.

The best trip we ever had from Sydney to Melbourne which goes through what I consider some of the most magnificent country is to go down the coast as far as Batemans Bay. Then head inland to Canberra (have a look at our National Capital while you are there), and into the mountains to Cooma, Jindabyne and Thredbo (visit Mt Kosciusko, our highest peak which to a Canadian will seem more like a large hill). From there head down to Tallangatta, back up to Mt Beauty then to Bright. Then across to Omeo take a detour to Lakes Entrance and finally on to Melbourne.

I wouldn't recommend less than a week for this trip if you want to get the best out of it. You get the coast, Canberra, and the High Country which is stunning in the summer months.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

The road trip that Eva suggested would allow you to see some stunning scenery plus our nations capital, agree you would need at least a week to see it properly.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

Definitely fly!

There are a few routes to take if driving, but they're not very scenic - you're better off spending the time you would spend driving, checking out Marvellous Melbourne - my home town and a real soul city.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Sydney to Melbourne?

If you are booking flights there is a tried and true way to get them cheap on Australian routes. Jetstar will price match with any other airline on a direct flight. Therefore in most cases Tiger Airways is the cheapest. I call up Jetstar on their price match line, they confirm the price and beat it by 10%. You don't just save money by doing this, you also save on comfort, because in my opinion Jetstar is the more comfortable and professional of the two really budget airlines.