We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

jakarta
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

Hello,

Im going to Melbourne on 01-11 March 2014, and it will be my first time visiting here.

I have made my itinerary, and would like to have some feedback if its good enough or not.

Also , still confuse whether to choose between Novotel on Collins or Mantra on Russell for the accommodation ( in terms of location/room/bed/bathroom/cleanliness/facilities ) and I got the similar price from these two properties.

Whats the weather like on that period ? What clothing should I pack to wear ?

01 Mar : arrive Melbourne in the morning, free time

02 Mar : morning self drive to GOR , overnight at Apollo Bay / Lorne

03 Mar : drive back to Melbourne

04 Mar : go to Mornington Peninsula early morning for hot spring bath , visit Sorrento Beach

05 Mar : explore the laneways , in the evening go to concert at Rod Laver Arena (is it walking distance from hotel ? other alternative, how much is taxi fare ? )

06 Mar : morning visit QV market , take full lap of Melbourne Visitor Shuttle Bus , then visit Fitzroy Garden

07 Mar : enjoy morning coffee at Degraves Street, take tram to Harbour Town Docklands , have special birthday dinner at Conservatory at Crown ( which one is better : Conservatory or Melba ? and why ? )

08 Mar : take bus / tram to : DFO South Wharfs , visit Royal Botanic Gardens , see & enjoy the Moomba Festival

09 Mar : go to St Kilda , explore Acland Street & Esplanade Sunday Market , Brighton Beach (take pics of bathing boxes) , sunset view (where's the best spot?) , see some penguins at the Pier

10 Mar : free time for resting and packing for tomorrow's flight back home

11 Mar : flying back home (morning)

Thanks guys !

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,412 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

Wow, pretty comprehensive planning. I best leave the itinerary to the local experts.

In regards to accommodation, the two places listed are very different. One is an apartment, the other is a traditional styled full service hotel. Of the two, Novotel is extremely well positioned, and is of much higher service. However the Mantra offers larger space, cooking and laundry facilities. If cooking and laundry isn't a priority, I would choose the Novotel each and everytime.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

I agree with KVE - the Novotel is much better located but it depends on what your needs are.

Re: 02 Mar : morning self drive to GOR . I would recommend a pit stop a the Split Point lighthouse, Aireys Inlet. The short tour is lots of fun, cheap and the views from the top are spectacular. There is also a little tea room nearby for coffee and cake or tea and scones. http://splitpointlighthouse.com.au/

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

Sounds like a great trip that you have planned. You've also planned it well so you are out of Melbourne before the Grand Prix starts and accommodation prices become very expensive.

Normally I would recommend the Novotel for location and ease of public transport over the mantra. However as you are going to be in the room for a while you might appreciate the extra space at the mantra. You're clearly wanting to shop so bringing less and doing laundry one day may also be a good idea.

Just a couple of observations re the itinerary:

5/3 - rod laver is walking distance from both hotels. If you don't want to walk catch a tram from flinders street. I wouldn't bother with a taxi for that distance. When the concert is over many people will catch the tram back to flinders street so you don't need to worry about being in the dark at night. It's very safe.

7&8/3 - I wouldn't go to harbour town and south wharf. They are pretty similar. Just go to harbour town. Melbourne always has sales on and you'd be better shopping in the CBD then doubling up at the outlets. You can do this when exploring the laneways.

7/3 - Melba is way better than the conservatory. Firstly, its at the Langham hotel which has a much nicer atmosphere and less screaming kids. Although they are both buffets, the conservatory has always to me felt like a slightly fancier version of a dodgy all you can eat buffet where as Melba has some class to it. Melba also has a much wider food selection. When you book, ask for a window seat to enjoy the fantastic view.

8/3 - this is actually a really busy day. Most people would spend all day just at Moomba. I'd get rid of dfo and just do the other two. Is there a particular part of the gardens you want to go to as they are huge and you could easily spend half a day walking around them?

If you do decide to do both the gardens and Moomba, do the gardens first as Moomba will go into the night.

My other observation is that you haven't included any cultural activities at all. They may not be for you and that's fine, but we do have some great museums and galleries you may wish to consider. I'm also surprised that Federation Square isn't listed. It's well worth a visit.

It's a shame all your nights are full because Moonlight Cinema is on when you are here and that's always a great night out in the Botanical Gardens. If you did want to include this you could do Moomba during the day and moonlight cinema at night. The Old Melbourne Gaol Night tours are also fantastic.

Don't forget you will need a Myki card with credit it on it for all your public transport usage. If you haven't researched that yet, go to the Myki website and do so. There are also lots of threads on it on the Melborne forum.

Happy planning.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,412 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

>>>Firstly, its at the Langham hotel which has a much nicer atmosphere...<<<

Bam! And there it is...

I was going to comment, but felt I wasn't the appropriate person.

Great restaurant.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

Haha! I was waiting for a comment from you KVE1005. I read your post and realised that when you had not commented, you'd be straight on to me when I said Melba. I was actually thought about saying the Conservatory but I didn't want to be responsible for you dying of shock :P

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,412 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

Kt, I think it was you who suggested the Tiffins Afternoon Tea?

It's must be up there with one of the best in Melbourne. My brother even compared it to a small version of the Dorchester in London, and if that's even remotely close, that's a massive comment. It's on my must do, first trip to Melbourne next year.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

It was indeed me. I've done it 8 times now, including Christmas Day. I like to take people there for birthdays etc.

The one during the week is nice, but the weekend one with all the chocolate is better. Let's face it, you don't go to high tea to eat lettuce. There are cheaper high tea's in Melbourne (I'm a bit of a connoisseur) but the sandwiches are always fresh and the work that goes into the sweets is phenomenal.

And in case you need any more convincing, I've had high tea the Burj Al Arab, Dubai's 7 star hotel, and whilst the view from 27 floors up was pretty impressive, the food overall was not as good as The Langham and the sweet selection was bland.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,412 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

I can see - that photo on your profile is the Burj isn't it?

I was there for the pre-opening. Would you believe the Director of HR is a Melbournian?

jakarta
Level Contributor
7 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I will take your suggestions to stay at Novotel and book the dinner at The Melba then, hope to have great time there :)

By the way, whats the weather like during this period ? What clothing should I pack to wear ?

And where is the best spot to enjoy sunset at St Kilda ? Will The Pier be great while waiting for the penguins to come out ?

Kt, I think I will be visiting or atleast passing by the Federation Square a few times during my stay in Melbourne, Im actually planning to take some pics around that landmark and other like St. Paul's Cathedral, etc.

Im also not a big fan of museums / galleries, but moonlight cinema sounds good, will check on it later,thanks :)

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 11 Days in Melbourne March 2014

No worries. They are bit for everyone. One of the most iconic Melbourne pictures you can get is to stand on the corner of Flinders Street and Swanston Street where the church is so that you are looking at Flinders Street Station. Wait until a tram goes past and then snap away so you get the tram passing under the famous Flinders Street Station Clocks.

It's a good photo during the day, but even better at night when the station is lit up and you get a bit of a blur on the end of the tram as it goes past.