We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Peppers Melbourne Docklands

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Peppers Melbourne Docklands

For those who maybe interested and missed the announcement.

smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/new-fivestar-h…

Great news for fans of both the Peppers brand and the Mantra Group, the new 5 Star luxury apartments will be a welcome addition to Melbourne's accommodation sector.

It coincided with the announcement of the 4.5 Star Altus Hotel & Suites due 2016

Docklands Melbourne
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Peppers Melbourne Docklands

I am a little biased about Docklands, I live, eat, work & play here and find it a wonderful place. It is a new community to Melbourne which started in 2001 when the first resident moved in, and is just starting to really blossom.

Currently just over 8000 people call it home, around 16000 people come to work here everyday.

While it has it's detractors....it is a fantastic place to visit, Docklands has an interesting history, and I would be more than pleased to show you all the good parts that don't get any mention in the media.....I'm not hard to find, come and say hello

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Peppers Melbourne Docklands

There's nothing wrong with a bit of local bias, and it's a good pitch for the Docklands, DTM. Nice one.

As mentioned earlier, I'm wasn't particularly fussed about Darling Harbour in Sydney, but since it was developed, it has become a very big attraction for visitors - which is something we have to keep in mind when we consider and recommend locations.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Peppers Melbourne Docklands

Update on the Altus, which was made public late last month.

The announcement has been made that it will be branded as a ParkRoyal

hotelmanagement.com.au/2013/…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
280 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Peppers Melbourne Docklands

Darling Harbour is and never has been anything like Docklands. Darling harbour is a 5-10 minute walk to the CBD, adjoins Paddys, China town etc. and is in a part of the city that already had many residents in the area and was seen in part providing more facities for local and future residents. Docklands is placed at the dead end if the CBD no through traffic, it's main population is 9-5 Mon-Fri. IMHO Darling Harbour filled a need, Docklands is developer supply driven. Look what the Gov department that did Docklands has become.....fail!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,543 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Peppers Melbourne Docklands

Perhaps not, but in terms of development it has follow a distinctly similar pattern. From the 1900's through to the 1950's, Darling Harbour and Cockle Bay was an industrial shipping area, and from the 50's until the late 70's was basically a derelict and abandoned area. So it certainly wasn't driven by the demand of the city, nor by residents, as there was very little residential development back there.

I don't have the first clue about politics behind it, but I know developer driven projects - the one in SE Queensland with theme parks come to mind - can boom given the right conditions and projections.

16. Re: Peppers Melbourne Docklands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 December 2014, 05:16