We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wildlife

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
horsham
Level Contributor
137 posts
481 reviews
Save Topic
Wildlife

We are planning on staying with friends in Brighton and relaxing and enjoying the area. We plan on visiting GOR for 2-3 days as part of this time. My question having read a number of threads and tour reports - where is the best location to see the Australian wildlife in the most natural setting? Cape Ottoway, Tower Hill or Phillip Island? I have seen penguins in South Africa and love them - can get up close there. Is the penguin parade worth the visit and is it very touristy? I hate feeling part of a herd. I'd really love to see Koalas. We will be heading for Tasmania after Melbourne.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wildlife

The vehicle circle route on the You Yangs is a great place to spot them. Drive extremely slow and pull over to hop out and look around every now and then. You can also see really cute black eared wallabies in good numbers there.

…vic.gov.au/explore/parks/you-yangs-r.p.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,747 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wildlife

Tower Hill is hit and miss. I've been there some days and there were so many animals it was like being at the zoo. On other days I've seen only birds. I would still recommend it though if you go as far as Warrnambool but I would not make a trip especially for it.

The penguin parade is very touristy but its the best place to see the most amount of penguins. You can also see them near the pier at St Kilda beach but there us no where near as many.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
864 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wildlife

As you leave Melbourne Airport look out to the left hand side of your vehicle into Gellibrand reserve and you will see kangaroos. If you dont it will be because your eyes arent knowing what to look for. Gun restriction in Australia has allowed the wild life to florrish. Bushwalking with eyes and ears open is the best way to see our wild life. Early morning and late afternoon are best as that is the time they forage.

4. Re: Wildlife

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 05:17