We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

Day 1: Cranbourne Gardens, Visit Wineries and Olive Groves in Red Hill, and Bike Napean NP

Day 2: Kayak Dolphin Santuary in morning, Snorkel with Sea Dragons in Afternoon, Hot Springs at night- Stay in Red Hill for nights 1&2

Day 3: Head down GOR: Bell's Beach, Erskine Waterfall hike, Teddy's lookout, Overnight in Apollo Bay

Day 4: Hike at Mait's Rest, Explore Great Otway National Park for Tripplett Falls hike, Lighthouse to see Koala's, Port Campbell for 12 Apostle's, London Bridge, etc., Hike Tower Hill, Overnight in Port Fairy

Day 5: Horseback ride 2 hours in the morning, hike Blue Lake Circuit in Mount Gambier for lunch, Umpherton Sinkhole, then onto Grampians

Day 6: Hikes in Grampians, Overnight in Grampians for a 2nd night

Day 7-9: Head back to Melbourne and explore

Does this itinerary sound feasible? What should I add or take away?? I would also like to see Kangaroos in the wild, but not sure where I can do this????

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

Re: kangaroos in the wild.

I am not sure about the other areas but you should definitely see plenty of kangaroos whilst in the Grampians. (I think the Grampians are one of Victoria's best keep secrets! ENJOY) p.s. if you're into rock climbing etc, check out Elephants Hide whilst in the Grampians. Have a great trip, PW

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,167 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

There are also kangaroos at Anglesea Golf Course.

Re Mt Gambier: just a thought, but getting there and back adds quite a few kms to your trip, and personally I wouldn't bother, but would take the GOR a bit more slowly and/or spend some more time in Port Fairy (for example, around the town, strolling the riverside, maybe the short walk to Griffiths island).

I assume you're planning to take the ferry from Sorrento to Queensliff at the start of day 3 (http://www.searoad.com.au/) ? I'd recommend the experience, but if you're renting a car, note that some of the car rental companies apparently say in their fine print that you're not supposed to take their cars on it (although the risk of damage on board has to be remote).

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,439 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

If you can give us information on the exact dates you will be in the areas you plan to visit we may be able to provide more specific information.

In so far as the GOR is concerned what you plan to do is doable in the time you have available there is still potential for your visit to be rushed.

There is so much to do on the GOR and I would advise as much as possible just taking your time and really get to experience what the region has to offer. Spending a minimum of two nights on the GOR would be something I would suggest for someone with very limited time to visit the area.

BTW Erskine falls is a short drive out of Lorne, the lookouts to the falls are an easy walk from the car park plus there are other walks available.

Lake Elizabeth is just off the Forrest Apollo Bay road at Barwon downs. The lake is beautiful and serene with the possibility of sighting the elusive platypus is another suggestion.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

Whenever we stay at Halls Gap in the Grampians the kangaroos come almost to our front door late in the afternoon. (I suspect they were in search of tasty morsels handed out by previous human inhabitants)

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
812 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

Anglesea Golf course has kangaroos laying around it all the time, which you can drive to their car park and see freely and easily.

At the Mornington Peninsula, they are always out at dusk at Seawinds Gardens. In droves.

If you need any directions/advice etc please message me.

These are definites, but you are more likely to see them at dusk when they come out to feed or dawn.

If you want to see Koalas in the wild, then avoid Phillip Island (in sanctuary there) and go for a day trip to French Island which is just off the Mornington Peninsula. A little ferry goes to Phillip Island from Stony Point (Hastings/Crib Point area) to Phililp Island but makes a stop at French Island. You can hike, it or bike it. They breed so well there in the wild. Just my humble thoughts for what they are worth.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

An update from our trip along GOR. We absolutely had a great time in OZ- we will definitely come back. Our itinerary was busy, but we fit in almost all of the things we set out to do without feeling too rushed. Can't wait to go back!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

Thanks JAM. We hope you have the time to write up a trip report as we'd love to hear about your travels. Hope to see you back soon!

8. Re: GOR, Mornington Penninsula, and Melbourne for 9 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2015, 06:17