We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on itinerary (GOR, Philip Island)

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on itinerary (GOR, Philip Island)

I am planning my family trip to Melbourne this Easter, we are a couple with 2 kids (1 and 3).

We have 12 days in Sydney and Melbourne, right now I plan to spend 6 nights in Melbourne, and our primary interest are GOR and Philip Island.

For April: Sunrise around 7:00am, and sunset around 5:30pm, We hope to start our day at 10am and reach hotel/B&B before 6pm, < 3 hours driving per day is our target. We will arrive Melbourne around noon on Apr 22.

Itinerary option 1

1. Melbourne airport -> Lorne (2 hours driving)

2. Lorne -> Apollo Bay -> Cape Otway Lighthouse -> Port Campbell (3 hours driving)

3. Port Campbell -> Geelong -> Queenscliff (3 hours driving)

4. Queenscliff -> Sorrento -> Mornington -> Nobbies -> Philip Island (4 hours)

5. Mornington -> Nobbies -> Philip Island (2 hours)

6. Philip Island -> Yarra Valley -> Melbourne city (3 hours)

7. Melbourne City sightseeing -> Melbourne airport

Itinerary option 2

1. Melbourne airport -> Yarra Valley (1 hours driving)

2. Yarra Valley -> Nobbies -> Philip Island (2 hours driving)

3. Philip Island -> Mornington -> Sorrento -> Queenscliff (3 hours)

4. Queenscliff -> Lorne -> Apollo Bay -> Cape Otway Lighthouse -> Port Campbell (4 hours driving)

5. Port Campbell -> Melbourne City (3 hours driving)

6. Melbourne City

7. Melbourne City -> Melbourne airport

- Which itinerary is a smoother journey? any other suggestion?

- Is Yarra Valley worth to visit if we are not wine lover?

- If we only plan to visit one zoo in this Sydney / Mel trip, which one will you suggest?

- I assume all the tourist spot will open during the Easter holiday, anything else I should pay attention?

Thanks.

Dk

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on itinerary (GOR, Philip Island)

>>Is Yarra Valley worth to visit if we are not wine lover?<<

It's not so much that I want to discourage people from visiting destinations that don't appear to match their interests. I happen to believe that a little research can reveal there's more to a destination than the well-known cliches. But what I wonder is why, with all the many wonderful ideas out there, why do people get stuck on such a limited list of "must sees" and then angst over them, is it worth seeing if we aren't interested in seeing it, is it alright to miss it . . . .

So, to answer your question. Even if you were wine lovers I can't imagine a whole day of visiting wineries would interest the 1 and 3 year olds. But this might! visitvictoria.com/regions/Yarra-Valley-and-D…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on itinerary (GOR, Philip Island)

Re: Easter. Please be aware that not all the shops etc will be open. In particular, Good Friday will be the main day in which many shops will be closed. Some places may open from midday only but as a general rule, many of the shops will be closed. The main tourist attractions should be open but it's best if you check on their website first.

New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on itinerary (GOR, Philip Island)

thanks MacKnee and PeterWellington1234, very helpful advice.

Now I need to think about Healesville Sanctuary and Taronga Zoo, both very unique attractions.

4. Re: Advice on itinerary (GOR, Philip Island)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 05:19