I am planning my family trip to Melbourne this Easter, we are a couple with 2 kids (1 and 3).
We have 12 days in Sydney and Melbourne, right now I plan to spend 6 nights in Melbourne, and our primary interest are GOR and Philip Island.
For April: Sunrise around 7:00am, and sunset around 5:30pm, We hope to start our day at 10am and reach hotel/B&B before 6pm, < 3 hours driving per day is our target. We will arrive Melbourne around noon on Apr 22.
Itinerary option 1
1. Melbourne airport -> Lorne (2 hours driving)
3. Port Campbell -> Geelong -> Queenscliff (3 hours driving)
4. Queenscliff -> Sorrento -> Mornington -> Nobbies -> Philip Island (4 hours)
5. Mornington -> Nobbies -> Philip Island (2 hours)
6. Philip Island -> Yarra Valley -> Melbourne city (3 hours)
7. Melbourne City sightseeing -> Melbourne airport
Itinerary option 2
1. Melbourne airport -> Yarra Valley (1 hours driving)
2. Yarra Valley -> Nobbies -> Philip Island (2 hours driving)
3. Philip Island -> Mornington -> Sorrento -> Queenscliff (3 hours)
4. Queenscliff -> Lorne -> Apollo Bay -> Cape Otway Lighthouse -> Port Campbell (4 hours driving)
5. Port Campbell -> Melbourne City (3 hours driving)
6. Melbourne City
7. Melbourne City -> Melbourne airport
- Which itinerary is a smoother journey? any other suggestion?
- Is Yarra Valley worth to visit if we are not wine lover?
- If we only plan to visit one zoo in this Sydney / Mel trip, which one will you suggest?
- I assume all the tourist spot will open during the Easter holiday, anything else I should pay attention?