We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MYKI definition of senior?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
151 reviews
Save Topic
MYKI definition of senior?

We are visiting Australia from the US. For several days we will be based in Lilydale, as my husband is taking some flying lessons at the airport.

On Sunday we plan to go into the Melbourne CBD. As I explored the transit website, it said seniors were free Sundays on the trains. We are both 65, but not Australian. Will we be able to travel free?

Thanks.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,338 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

No.

You need to have a Victorian seniors health card: ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/concessions/seniors/

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

You need to hold a Victorian Seniors Card, not a Seniors health Card.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,338 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

Exactly correct, BigW. Well spotted. A Victorian Seniors Card issued by the Department of Health.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

My friends parents from Mexico managed to get seniors Mykis. Maybe they do takes overseas seniors id?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,338 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

Click on the link. Other concessions ARE available for holders of other cards, but not free weekend travel. :)

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,046 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

To get a Victorian Seniors MYKI card you have to declare, in writing, that you are a permanent resident of Victoria and give a Victorian address at which you reside.

You have to also have either a Federal Government pension or health care card or a Victorian Government issued Seniors card.

I guess its 'possible' to get the card even if the facts are somewhat rubbery and one stretches the truth, but it's definitely not for overseas or even interstate visitors.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

As I understand it, the position is that Victorian seniors using a Victorian seniors Myki card (issued by the transport authorities to holders of a Victorian seniors card) travel free at weekends (and at concessional fares at other times). And yes, the seniors program in Victoria is run by an agency within the Dept of Health.

Seniors from other Australian states, holding a seniors card issued by the relevant authority in their state, are entitled to buy a concession myki card, and so travel at concessional fares on any day (including weekends). But they don't get free weekend travel.

Unfortunately, however, overseas seniors don't qualify for any concessions (see http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/concessions/).

Edited: 10 January 2014, 04:54
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,025 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

Thank you. I won't cheat, but will pay my fare!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

By Luigi comments I believe there is captain Cook's Cottage in Fitzroy gardens available at discount for Seniors from overseas? When you purchase a Myki card?

is that correct Luigi?

Kind regards

ACA44

10. Re: MYKI definition of senior?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:17