We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

York
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

Hi All,

I am planning a road trip from Melbourne to the great ocean road for two nights next week. I will be picking a campervan up in Melbourne on Tuesday morning at 10am and need to return it by 3pm on Thursday. The spots I would really like to see are Torquay, Bells Beach, Lorne, Apollo Bay, Cape Otway Lighthouse, 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge. Any other spots I should include?

Any help with a driving route would be much appreciated. Also where are the best spots to stay? We have a campervan so will be sleeping in that, although I understand it is illegal to sleep at the side of the road so will need a campsite (a free one would be ideal).

Thanks a million in advance!

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

Are you certain you want to do this?

I think with the extra petrol, campsites, and other hassles you won't be saving much money, over a car and cheap accommodation.

Also, having to be back by 3pm, and not leaving Melbourne to 10am is going to take a chunk out of the beginning and end of your trip - when presumably you could get access to a car far earlier.

Not to mention, driving the road in a camper..

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

I agree >>Are you certain you want to do this?<< I'm not sure a cheap campervan is the best idea for a winding distracting road with plenty of accommodation options for all budgets. In fact the whole *cheap* campervan trip thing tends to be a bad idea going by the feedback we get here about dodgy brakes, broken fittings, difficulties with pickup and return, and withholding of bond money. Have you booked it yet?

Edited: 29 January 2014, 03:38
York
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

The campervan is booked and paid for so definitely going for this option, but thanks for your concern.

Any advice on a driving route?

Thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

I'm presuming you will be driving the GOR one way, then returning via the inland route?

Check out www.greatoceanroad.org for more info about the drive & the sights to see. There really is only one route to drive along the GOR. The best route to return to Melbourne depends on how far you want to drive.

Do also keep an eye on the weather forecasts & fire warnings next week. February tends to be the hottest month in Victoria, so you may need to be flexible with your plans.

You may also find sleeping in a campervan quite uncomfortable if we get some hot nights. Campervans really aren't the good option people think they are, especially driving narrow, windy roads in hot weather like you will be.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

Hi CS, see this link as another traveler was also looking for camping grounds whilst on his GOR trip (but he had a tent though but the info is still relevant)

tripadvisor.com.au/…53945436

Parks Victoria website might be able to assist too - http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks

As already mentioned, it is essential that you keep an eye out on the weather forecasts and fire warnings.

Have a safe trip.

York
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

Hi ellenwillow, yes i will be returning via the inland route. Hopefully the weather won't be too hot next week and the risk of bushfires will be low, but I will definitely keep an eye on the forecasts and fire warnings, thanks.

PeterWellington1234 many thanks for those links, extremely helpful and looks like there are some good spots for us to spend the night.

Very excited to get on the road and show my sister visiting from England the great beauty Victoria has to offer!

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
142 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

We did the GOR at Easter last year in a camper van over 6 nights and loved every minute of it. We had key places like you on our wish list but we found so many other stopping places with stunning views and beaches on route. It wasn't very busy when we went and parking the van not a problem but I suspect it will be a lot busier at this time of year. Our fav overnight stops were the Big 4 campsites but you may have to pre book any of the parks this time of year.

Take it easy and you will have a fabulous time

Colac, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

Leaving Melbourne at 10 am I would aim to be in Lorne on the first night. I am not sure where you could stay but am sure there would be some caravan parks etc around. The next day you could then do the part of the coast between there and the end of the gor. It may be a bit of back tracking but if you stay around Apollo bay for a night go see the glow worms which are in melba gully if I remember rightly which is just near lavers hill. just allow yourself atleast 3 hours to get back to Melbourne if dropping the campervan back on the west side of melbourne or 4 if on the eastern side. Have a good trip

York
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

Thanks for all the tips guys, definitely provided me with some useful food for thought.

After a bit of further research this morning I think I am going to stay www.kennettriver.com the first night, this is just between Lorne and Apollo Bay so a reasonable distance to travel on day one.

The second night I am thinking I will probably try get a spot at www.princetownrecreationreserve.com this is close to 12 Apostles so will allow us to do Gibson steps, 12 Apostles and Loch Ard Gorge early Thursday morning before heading back to Melbourne for 3pm. I looked into the free sites in the Otways, but think I would rather spend $45 and be sure of a spot to sleep, that way can spend our days exploring the GOR without any worries.

Thanks again!

Edited: 30 January 2014, 02:41
10. Re: Great Ocean Road 2 night itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2015, 06:20