We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Topic
Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

Which is better? Skydiving at St Kilda Beach or GOR?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

I don't know.

But I'm intrigued, I did not know you could skydive at those locations. Are you talking skydiving for experienced skydivers, or tandem jumps? Is it offered by the same company? Where on the GOR, do you have to make your own arrangements to get there? As I said, I don't know, but I suspect as with many *best* type questions, it is like comparing chalk and cheese, just the locations themselves are, how you say, different.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

I don't know either. My daughter has sky dived from Nagambi. But one thing to consider is the height from which you jump. Obviously the higher the jump, the longer the 'free fall' you have coming down. At Nagambi for example, you jump from 15,000 feet - this used to be the highest jump available in Victoria (not sure if other places are now offering similar height). Tooradin is also worth considering - the flight takes you over Westernport Bay and I've heard that they are now offering higher jumps.

Also check that the take-off & landing zones are close together, or that the company arranges transport back to your car.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,536 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

A google search showed me that you can tandem sky dive over St Kilda, landing in an Elwood Park. I was surprised, thinking of the safety concerns in such a built up area, but I guess that's why the only option is tandem. It does seem to have good reviews on TA & it's easy to get to.

I haven't sky dived, so can't make any comparison.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

I don't know anything about skydiving but for the scenery and views alone, I'd choose GOR, that is, if it is an option.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,687 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

>>Also check that the take-off & landing zones are close together, or that the company arranges transport back to your car.<<

>>A google search showed me that you can tandem sky dive over St Kilda __ it's easy to get to.<<

I think those are important considerations.

>>I don't know anything about skydiving but for the scenery and views alone, I'd choose GOR, that is, if it is an option.<<

I agree, purely on views. However, if it is going to be difficult or time-consuming to get there and you will be too busy experiencing the experience to properly notice the view anyway then it might not be the "better" option for you. If you want to see the GOR and you have time to look around from the ground as well, then the skydive could be a great addition to a GOR visit. If it is JUST about the skydive then an interesting urban environment, an audience on the ground, and a short trip to a venue for a celebratory drink afterwards might be more appealing?

Tell us more, even better post the links so that we know what you are talking about.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

Will also depend on whether or not you will have a car, or will be relying on public transport. St Kilda take-off/ landing zones seem easily accessible by public transport, whereas you will probably need a car for GOR or other places such as Yarra Valley, Tooradin, or Nagambi.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,113 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

Hi,

Skydiving is usually done from an aircraft at altitude.

If I had to choose between St Kilda beach and the GOR I would choose the beach as the landing should be softer on the sand rather than the tar macadam of the GOR. Either location will see a very short free-fall.

Cheers,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,041 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

If you are a visitor without a car then St Kilda is a much more practical proposition than Barwon Heads in terms of getting there and back.

Getting to St Kilda would take about 20 minutes by tram from the city. Presumably the company would take you out to the airport (probably Essendon or Moorabin) from St Kilda, but according to the website you need to get to Barwon heads airfield on your own to get to the GOR drop. That would be a challenge in itself.

Personally, I doubt that there is enough vodka or whiskey in the world to make me jump out of a plane that wasn't on fire. And even if it was I think I'd take my chances in a crash landing 😉 however, I admire those that have the stomach for it.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

eva you must try it - you wont need vodka and whiskey for problems after that

10. Re: Skydive - St Kilda Beach or GOR?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 05:30