We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sofitel or Intercontinental

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Meg
Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Sofitel or Intercontinental

Hi... the hotels above both look good, and the sky bus goes to both of them. Which is in a better location? My ideal location is one which is convenient to travel around to, has great food and attractions nearby and ideally close to a car rental (although this is not a deal breaker).

I'm travelling with the husband and a 2 year old. TIA!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

Tough question.

I'm an unabashed fan of the InterContinental, as it's an absolutely exquisite property. But with the last renovation, and it's location at the 'that' end of Collins, I'd be firmly choosing the Sofitel.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

PS. Avis office is about a block down the street on Collins.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

It's not often that I would dare to disagree with our resident hotel expert and in terms of properties and what you get, I bow to the expert. However, in terms of location I'd prefer the Intercon to the Sofitel. Sofitel is at the top of Collins. Presumably your toddler will be in a pusher and it's a bit of a steep hill up Collins St from the city. The Intercon is closer the river and much nearer to Southbank and the hub of the city.

Have you considered the Langham? For tourists I would think it's a better location than both of those mentioned. You have Southbank and all it's cafés on your doorstep and it's just out of the commercial part of the CBD.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

I think that's a completely valid point by Eva, and I must openly admit that I didn't take into consideration the ease of access for your 2 year old, or the proximity to Southbank. My suggestion was indeed 'adult' biased towards that end of Collins St.

As Eva and I have very similar tastes, and her being a local, I would happily take her suggestion as gospel when it comes to details of Melbourne. In regards to room 'product', neither will disappoint; the InterContinental is barely six years old, and is a wonderful interpretation of modern European decor - warm and full of ambience.

The Langham would be a magnificent alternative, should it meet your budget.

Meg
Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

Thanks both! What's at "that end" of Collins street? Langham looks great but I had thought across the river was further from the city?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

It's often been referred to as the 'Paris' end of Collins St, due to the high number of designer label stores - Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Burberry etc etc.

No, not at all. It's a leisurely 5-10 minute level walk depending on where about in Southbank you are, and where you're headed.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

Actually the Intercontinental is on a hill as well.

Both ends of Collins st are hills (and a creek ran along Elizabeth streets) so the hills issue is a moot point plus walking to Southbank is walking down from the Intercontinental (hence why the entrance on flinders lanes and the entrance on Collins street are on two different levels).

You will potentially get much much better views in a 40 level high rise Sofitel than a smaller squat 10 level Intercontinental building surrounded by others. And as far as distance from the shopping area they are much of a muchness in time wise.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

Meg; just to clarify, the hill up to the Sofitel is not a major hill, just a slight rise in the street which I believe span for a about short 2 blocks. I hardly even notice it but if you're extremely unfit or unwell, then walk may well be an issue and in this case you would be wise to use the tram.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 09:44
9. Re: Sofitel or Intercontinental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 March 2015, 06:18