We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

Hi. We're only in Melbourne for 4 1/2 days in August, but we want to see as much as we can. We love animals and were wondering if Werribee open zoo is worth going to? We're staying in the CBD. Is there any other not-to-be-missed things to do? We're going to Les Mis and the footy. Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

As an animal lover also, I would say yes, the Werribee Open Zoo is worth a trip as it's a close as you can get to experience a simulated Afrrican savanna but will you have a car as it is a bit difficult to get to?

What I liked about the zoo is seeing the animals in a very very large enclosures where they can roam freely and living together as they would be if in their natural habitat.

Please be aware that the only way around the zoo is by their buses - they have open air buses (where the giraffes often pop their heads into), semi open and all enclosed buses with air con etc. Some people don't like that they can't walk around at their own pace but it didn't spoil our trip.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,862 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

Hi PeterWellington1234, thanks for mentioning that, I always assumed it was like Dubbo where you could choose between walking and various forms of transport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

There are a few odd animals in small enclosures to see by walking but the 90% of the zoo needs to be covered by the bus. When we were there last, a giraffe was on the road so we had to stop our bus which was fabulous as we got to see the giraffe up close and personal. Some of the kids were kind of freakin out though....

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

My kids were a bit go-hum about Werribee, although the meerkat enclosure fascinated them for some time. It was a warm sunny afternoon and the Big animals were mostly dozing in the shade quite some way off from the bus. Well, that's what animals do in the wild, I guess.

On the other hand, they couldn't get enough of visiting Healesville Sanctuary, even as young adults.

Neither are very easy to get to but both have websites with directions on how to get there by public transport.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
69 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

Thanks for the posts! We won't have a car so only public transport. We intend on going to the Melbourne Zoo so maybe that's enough since we only have a few days.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

there is a new baby elephant at Melbourne zoo so to see that would be a treat as they are very naughty and cheeky

7. Re: Is Werribee Zoo worth going to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 06:20