We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Cup - is dining/cocktail option worth the price?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Cup - is dining/cocktail option worth the price?

Hey fellow Tripadvisors!

Just wondering if anyone has done a dining/cocktail option at the Flemington Racecourse on Melbourne Cup Day and if you think you have - is it worth the price?

The Melbourne Cup at the track is on my bucket list and I'd like to do it with easy access to a bar, bookies, and with a view of the racetrack.

The dining packages I have had a look at are around $800 to $990 per person on Cup Day. Given that this could be a once in a lifetime trip - is it worth the $$$

There was also a cocktail option, has anyone done this?

If you don't believe it is worth the cash - where are the best seats - Hill Stand?

Thanks for any advice!!

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,197 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Cup - is dining/cocktail option worth the price?

We did a dining option a few years back, and had a good day. We were with a group of friends on a table, so that was a good start. There was both a bookie and a tote desk in the marquee, which was fun, and the service and food were good.

BUT we didn't have a view of the horses (I guess if you have this, the price goes right up), so to see them we had to make our way through the crowd to get somewhere near the track. We just watched most races on the TV in the marquee. An "economic rationalist" would say we would have been far better off financially just attending a Melb Cup lunch in a hotel or similar, away from the track.

Just the same, the atmosphere was good (starting with the train trip to the course) and we have no regrets as we can say "we did it" - but we probably wouldn't do it again!

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
10,198 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Cup - is dining/cocktail option worth the price?

My great uncle was a member at Flemington. He took me there about 30 years ago.

We dined in the members lounge/restaurant, made our bets with bookies in the members area, which was separate from the rest of the bookies. And had excellent views of the race course. He paid for everything. I just paid for my own bets.

That is an experience I would happily relive.

I have just checked options for the Melbourne Cup. Is this the $990 package?

melbournecup.com/entertaining-dining/…

Morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, beer wine and soft drinks all included and some of the best seats in the house. For a one off life time experience, If I had a spare $990, I would do it!

3. Re: Melbourne Cup - is dining/cocktail option worth the price?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2015, 05:18