We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Morisset, Australia
7 posts
Save Topic
Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

Hi There, We plan to travel by rail from Sydney to Melbourne & connect with the Princess cruise Liner. Would appreciate any help regarding where & how to get from Interstate rail terminal to where the liners dock. We feel coming the day before cruise departure best,so accomodation close to dock area would be ideal.appreciate any help.regards Sue.xx .

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

The train will come in at Souther Cross Station. You will need to walk out of the station to the corner of Collins St and Spencer St (just outside the station. Here you will need to get the 109 Tram towards Port Melbourne. The very end of the line is pretty much opposite the dock.

If you have lots of luggage though I'd suggest taking a short taxi ride from the station to Port Melbourne, as there is very limited floor space on trams and other patrons will be pretty annoyed if they can't get on because of suitcases in the doorway.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
25,576 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

I think you'd be better off staying in the city near Southern Cross station. It's an easy trip on the 109 tram to Station Pier.

Morisset, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

Thank you Luigi A, your info is very helpful once again thank you .regards Susan A.xx

Morisset, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

thank you L Ostris, your info very helpful I think we will follow your advice again thank you. regards Susan A.xx

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,513 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

If you take the trM, you will need to purchase a MYKI card each ($6) and then put enough credit on it for the fare. For a once off ride, it's not worth it. You're not going to be in Melbourne long enough to take advantage of the Visitors Pack.

I would book into a hotel near Southern Cross Station as recommended, then take a cab to Port Melbourne in the morning. It will cost about the same as a tram and you won't have to hump luggage onto a luggage unfriendly tram.

I guess you have a reason for not opting for the quicker (and cheaper) flight from SYD to MEL?

Edited: 11 March 2014, 21:53
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

I agree with emel. I would not catch tram to Station Pier for exactly the same reasons. Station Pier is only a 10-15 minute taxi ride from Southern Cross station and the cost and convenience of a taxi would out weigh the savings (if any) of a tram ride.

Morisset, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

Thank you for your reply not having been to Melbourne we were wanting to know the distance from the Interstate Terminal to the ships docking area. The info we have received has been so helpful, we will find accommodation close to station, then catch some sights of your city, then catch a taxi next morning. We thought of flying but chose to catch the beautiful scenery on the way down .Again thank you for your good advice. Regards Susan A

Morisset, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

Thank you NAVY35,We appreciate the response from our friendly Aussies, we chose the rail journey to Melbourne to take in the scenery on the way down, also the stay over night it gives a chance to see a little of your city. the info we have received as best place to stay & best transport next morn.to the ship has been so helpful. thank you. Regards Susan A

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,042 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

Hi Susan, the distance from Southern Cross station (where your train will arrive) to Station Pier is less than 5 Kms.

Morisset, Australia
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel & Connections while in Melbourne

Hi Navy35, We been checking accommodation close to the station , came across The Alto Hotel on Bourke it had great comments & close to the station. We not into the big expensive hotels ,So We decided the Alto is for us.& we can catch the cab next morn. thank you for the inf. Susan A