We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Phillip Island

Chase City, Virginia
10 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Phillip Island

My son and I will be visiting Phillip Island in early June. We have a motel reserved in Melbourne for three nights, so we wanted to spend one day on Phillip Island. We will already have a rental car as we will be driving from Sydney. Is it hard to get to Phillip Island and once we get there is it plenty of parking at the different locations such as The Nobbies, Penguin Parade, and Koala Conservation, or would we be better using some sort of public transportation. Thanks for you help!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

It's a very easy drive from Melbourne and will take about 1.5 hours. You will be on freeways most of the way. Plenty of parking at all the tourist locations, especially at that time of year.

Chase City, Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

Thank you for the information. This is our first visit to Australia (from the US) and we are very excited! Wish we could have come at a different time of the year when the weather is better, but my son is graduating from college and we had to plan this trip before he started his new job. Thanks again!

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

This web site may help you with directions. But be aware the freeway is a tolled road, so if you are hiring a car, you will need an e-tag to pay the tolls.

visitphillipisland.com/category/…

Chase City, Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

Thank you very much! Where will I be able to get an e-tag from?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

>>We will already have a rental car as we will be driving from Sydney.<<

I hope you've allowed enough time, otherwise flying is better.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
363 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

Re: e-tag

Ask rental company about it. Otherwise it is a very simple procedure of dialling a number which you will find on multiple billboards along toll road and providing your car rego and credit card details. You have limited time window to do so. That is where most people run into trouble, not because they deliberately avoid tolls, but because they forget to ring in time.

More info at www.citylink.com.au and www.eastlink.com.au

Chase City, Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

We have allowed time for driving from Sydney to Adelaide along the Great Ocean Road. We will be stopping in Melbourne for 3 nights! Thanks for the info!

Chase City, Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

Thank you so much for this information. It helps a lot!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

>>We have allowed time for driving from Sydney to Adelaide along the Great Ocean Road. We will be stopping in Melbourne for 3 nights! Thanks for the info!<<

The Great Ocean Road is not the road from Sydney to Adelaide. How long have you allowed to drive from Sydney to Melbourne, and by which route?

Chase City, Virginia
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving to Phillip Island

We have allowed 2 days to Melbourne and then three days to Adelaide. I'm not sure which route we will be taking to Melbourne I'm going to depend on my GPS for that. I do know from Melbourne to Adelaide we will be driving the coast because we have hotels booked along the route. This should be a real experience for me since I have never driven on the left side of the road :)