We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Topic
3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

We'll arrive on Tuesday around noon. Planning on checking in (hotel/apartment, not sure yet) and chill for the rest of the day.

Wednesday - visit Melbourne

Thursday - leave early with car rental, Maru Koala and Animal Park, koala conservation center and Pinguin Parade. Return to Melbourne.

Friday - fly out at 7:45am.

Is this doable?

Thank you all

joancollins69
Level Contributor
122 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

very doable, if staying in CBD consider having supper out of CBD try Victoria st Abbotsford for asian (cheap and cheerful) or pop down to St KIilda for supper and cake on Acland st, heaps of eateries and easy to get too by trams. WED theres a hop on hop off tourist bus you might consider and Thursday morn try getting up early for breakfast at the Victoria Market and maybe to a day tour with a company to see your Thursday list.

If you're referring to this week our Comedy festival is on so cheap tickets are availble near the town hall for heaps of shows so get a chuckle whilst in town.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

With so little time in Melbourne, I hope that after checking in and chilling out a bit, you will get out and enjoy what Melbourne has to offer. There is a lot to see and do and night and as mentioned above, the Melbourne International Comedy Festival is on at the moment and there are plenty of acts to choose from.

If you need suggestions for Tuesday or Wednesday, please let us know the sorts of things you are interested in.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

Are you keeping the rental car overnight and then driving it to the airport? If so, have you checked to see if your hotel offers parking?

Even if you pay the hotel parking rates, it could be a cheaper alternative to a cab fare if you're paying for the car for 24 hours anyway.

Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

I forgot to mention: we are planning on doing this in July (Tuesday July 8th to Friday July 11th).

Is it still doable? :)

The idea was to rent a car in the city and drop it off at the airport. Not sure if it's possible or not, I haven't looked into many things as of yet. So far all we have are the flights in and out of Melbourne.

Do you recommend staying on the north bank or south bank? We're a married couple, 35 and 31, active and adventure type.

Thanks for all the tips, it's great to read all these responses so fast :)

Cheers

Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

Any update? Thanks again

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
3,750 posts
403 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

I'm assuming you mean staying either in the CBD or in Southbank. Either is good, it really just depends on the hotel rate. Of course, you have the advantage of the trams and trains being right on your door in the CBD, but in Southbank you are only a 5-10 min walk at the absolute most into the CBD.

Personally, I think your Thursday is too long. It's about a 2.5-3 hour drive back from Phillip Island which is a lot after a long day of driving. If you have two drivers than yes, but if it is just one person that no, I would not do it given your early start on both Thursday and Friday. The driver is going to be way too tired to enjoy themselves.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
218 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

Phillip Island to Melbourne is around 2 hours, not 3 but I still wouldn't recommend it as you will be tired from the day and on unfamiliar roads.

8. Re: 3 days in Melbourne - what do you think of this itin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2015, 06:16