We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days itinerary

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
213 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
5 days itinerary

Any advice on my planned itinerary, arriving in August,winter mth.

day 1 - St.Kilda beach Sun mkt,phillip island or St Kilda breakwater for penguin parade?

day 2 - trip to Lake mountain snow resort(self drive)

day 3 - GOR (night at Lorne or Apollo bay)(self drive)

day 4 - GOR,back to Mel(self drive)

day 5 - Mel city,Hosier ln,Queen Vic mkt,Federation Square,

day 6 - take 830 flight back to Sydney & int flight 1240 to Sing.

Plan to stay at Easystay Studio Apt at St Kilda on day 1 & 2, ok choice?

Day 1- Is watching penguins at St Kilda similar to Phillips island? what will I be missing if watch at St Kilda? What else to do on this day?

Day 2- Plan to go snow toboggan at the mountains,no skis.Is Lake mountain a better choice than Mt Donna Buang? Lake mt is 2hrs drive & Donna is an hr drive.Probably 6hrs trip to snow mt....along the way,any suggestions for a short trip elsewhere?

I like to do some cheese & wine self drive tours,any suggestions?

Plan to take the 830 Tiger flight back to Sydney,reach 10am. 2.5hrs before my connecting flight....any risk here other than my flight cancellation/delays?

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,257 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days itinerary

St Kilda is good location. As long as car park available. Street parking limited and I wouldn't like car left on streets overnight.

Night time drive after penguins at Phillip Island is a long drive. But its the real penguin experience. Rug up. Never seen them at St Kilda but I understand its not a organised controlled area so not sure how you find right spot or that others won't get in way of penguins and change their route. Or block your view. Also numbers of penguins much less.

Early morning flights are more likely to be on schedule than later in day when variety of delays during day could affect timing of plane servicing your flight EXCEPT both Melb and Sydney airport can be disrupted by morning fog occasionally in winter mornings.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 08:06
singapore
Level Contributor
213 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days itinerary

Thx.It is ~135km from St Kilda to Phillip island. Est. a 1.5hrs drive? I see Danenong or Mornington along the way,might be able to do some side trips along the way? any suggestions?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days itinerary

You can easily do the St Kilda Sunday market in the morning and then drive down to Phillip Island in the afternoon for the penguin parade (about 2 hours). You can maybe stay on Phillip Island to avoid driving back at night and then drive to Lake Mountain the following day. Note that snow is not guaranteed, even in August. The elevation isn't high enough for snow to stay on the ground long enough. Don't think there's any accom up there so you will probably need to come back to Melbourne, esp if you are driving down the GOR the next day. Another option if you do stay on Phillip Island is Mt Baw Baw but it would mean a longer drive to the GOR as it's in Gippsland, but you're more likely to get snow there.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days itinerary

Allow 2 hours from St Kilda to Phillip Island, as the penguins are at the far end of the Island. Note there is only one bridge across to the island at San Remo, so you have to drive around Western Port Bay (I believe there might be a ferry across to Cowes but you won't be able to take a hire car on it). The roads are good the entire way to Phillip Island. As for side trips, I would pick Mornington Peninsula over Dandenong but you will need a lot of extra time for this, so I would concentrate just on Phillip Island. There is actually a lot to do on the Island other than the penguins. If the weather is good I can recommend a walk around Cape Woollamai. You can stop at Panny's Chocolate Factory for a coffee and of course the chocolate, and Cowes is your best option for accom and eating.

Edited: 12 April 2014, 08:45
singapore
Level Contributor
213 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days itinerary

Thx! guess will need to make alternate plans for snow mountains if no snow at lake mt,will check snow status during the trip.

heard many advices of not to drive at night from Philip to city.....is it unsafe? thought mostly would be highways which are lit? but will check the accommodation plans....just alot of luggage to move about in car if switching hotels & might not get good discount due to shorter time for each hotels.

any recommendations on cheese & wine factories/farms nearby my trip routes?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days itinerary

Re: Lake Mountain. There is no accommodation on the mountain but visitors stay in Marysville, the small town at the bottom of the mountain, very beautiful.

Have you already booked your accommodation as I think staying in the city is a better base as it you are closer (walking distance) to all the main attractions. The CBD has good access to get onto the freeways and out of the city . It will save you lots of time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days itinerary

All I can say, you are packing a lot into a few days. Do the Sunday Markets in St Kilda in the morning and then lunch in Acland Street (Close by). In the afternoon, drive to Phillip Is. It's a much more enjoyable experience than St Kilda penguins. Just check on their web site what time the penguins are due but you should probably be there by 6pm. This will give you a chance to explore the visitors centre. Take PLENTY of warm clothes. If you want to see snow, then I'd definitely head to Lake Mountain. Mt Baw Baw is a dreadful drive if you haven't driven in snow areas before. You can drive back to Melbourne from Phillip Island after the penguins. The road is good and plenty do it. However, the other option is to stay on Phillip Is and drive directly to Lake Mountain the next day. After Lake Mountain, I'd stay in Melbourne for the day, just to rest and then head off to the GOR. Personally I don't see the attraction of the GOR but visitors seem to want to do it. How about this for a suggestion. Melbourne to Sorrento (Mornington Peninsula). Have a coffee & cake in Sorrento and then car ferry over to Queenscliff. Spend an hour or so here having a look around before heading to Lorne via the GOR. This will give you enough of a feel of the GOR, though you will miss out on Port Campbell. From Lorne you can head back to Melbourne via Geelong, taking the GOR or there is an inland route alone the Lorne-Dean's Marsh road. Tiger Airways - just check where the car hire return is as Tiger is in Terminal 4, which is quite a walk from where the car hire return is.

singapore
Level Contributor
213 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days itinerary

Thx,will go for the option of staying at Philip island after penguin tour & then next morning leave to Lake mt. Thx for all the advices!

I will have to look for an overnight stay after Lake mt & somewhere convenient for GOR drive the very next morning....any suggestions?

I reckon that I will stay on top Lake mt for 2-3hrs....should be ard 4-6pm when hit back down to Mel city.Thinking for staying at Geelong for the night prior to GOR.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 16:44
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,512 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days itinerary

OK, this itinerary is a LOT of driving in only a few days? Keep in mind the days are short & it will be dark by 6pm.

What time do you arrive on the Sunday? If you have arrived on an international flight that morning, staying overnight on Phillip Island is a good idea as you will probably be very tired. The drive back to Melbourne is a divided highway, but it's not lit. It does take longer than you might expect as you do go through towns where you need to slow down.

If you are going to Lake Mountain, driving from Phillip Island makes more sense than driving back to Melbourne & driving out. Have a look on a map to see how you will save time (& the cost of petrol) by not back tracking.

I'd then be spending the day in Melbourne just to break up the driving. You will need to go through Melbourne anyway. As someone who has done a few long road trips, you will enjoy the GOR more after a rest day than if you are tired from a lot of driving.

As your flight to Sydney is at 8.30am, I'd drive to the airport from the GOR & stay overnight at an airport hotel. I'd even look at getting an earlier flight & maybe not on Tiger. What airline is your international flight with?

singapore
Level Contributor
213 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days itinerary

We have 5 drivers in our group,so should not be an issue on driving fatigue here.We will be arriving late on Sat from Sydney,so have narrowed down the lodging near Southern Cross Station where skybus ends at the city.Looking at Kings backpacker for the night.Sun morning to collect car nearby & perfect traffic condition for us since it is Sun morning.

Day 5 will be entire day in Mel city...so not driving to airport.Will use skybus services on last day to get us to the airport.

We are on Scoot 1240pm flight...so I guess Tiger 830 flight should suit well since it will arrive Sydney at 10am,

2.5hrs before connecting flight.

Checked & Tiger is so far the cheapest compare to Quantas & Virgin.

Edited: 14 April 2014, 00:02