We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days itinerary

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
5 days itinerary

Any advice on my planned itinerary, arriving in August,winter mth.

day 1 - St.Kilda beach Sun mkt,phillip island or St Kilda breakwater for penguin parade?

day 2 - trip to Lake mountain snow resort(self drive)

day 3 - GOR (night at Lorne or Apollo bay)(self drive)

day 4 - GOR,back to Mel(self drive)

day 5 - Mel city,Hosier ln,Queen Vic mkt,Federation Square,

day 6 - take 830 flight back to Sydney & int flight 1240 to Sing.

Plan to stay at Easystay Studio Apt at St Kilda on day 1 & 2, ok choice?

Day 1- Is watching penguins at St Kilda similar to Phillips island? what will I be missing if watch at St Kilda? What else to do on this day?

Day 2- Plan to go snow toboggan at the mountains,no skis.Is Lake mountain a better choice than Mt Donna Buang? Lake mt is 2hrs drive & Donna is an hr drive.Probably 6hrs trip to snow mt....along the way,any suggestions for a short trip elsewhere?

I like to do some cheese & wine self drive tours,any suggestions?

Plan to take the 830 Tiger flight back to Sydney,reach 10am. 2.5hrs before my connecting flight....any risk here other than my flight cancellation/delays?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,832 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 5 days itinerary

I would strongly recommend that you consider changing the Sydney to Melbourne flight to either Qantas or Virgin, even though it will be more expensive.

If something goes pear shaped with your Tiger flight, their next flight won't gt you into Sydney in time to catch your Scoot flight, whereas QF and VA both have flights every half hour to Sydney.

With a 2.5 hour connection time, there's no wriggle room considering you need to collect luggage, get over to the International Terminal (that can take half an hour), check in and get through emigration. Scoot require you to be at check in a minimum of an hour before departure time. That means you only have an hour and a half - plenty of time if all goes to schedule, but a delay, whether it's due to weather, the airlines or any other reason could mean that you miss the deadline and end up spending thousands of dollars on new tickets to Singapore.

It's up to you, of course, and depends on your risk tolerance, but I wouldn't take the chance. Alternately, consider flying to Sydney the night before.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,008 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 5 days itinerary

Re: Lake Mountain. Please note that Lake Mountain gets packed on the weekend if there has been a great dump of snow. This means that you should expect to be up ON the mountain by 9am or even earlier. We actually get their earlier and have our breakfast on the mountain whilst avoiding the crowds (as you still need to queue for the rental of your ski's, clothes & boots etc)

During peak periods, the authorities (local police) will close access to the mountain as the national park reaches capacity in their car park , this is usually around 11am. If this happens to you, you may be able to enter again after 2pm when the morning skiers have left.

singapore
Level Contributor
215 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 5 days itinerary

Yes,we plan to leave to the mountains earlier...before 10am if possible. We are not going to ski but to enjoy the snow, scenery & toboggan.Luckily the mountain trip is on a Monday..so maybe less crowded.

14. Re: 5 days itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:15