We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

Friends,

I will be in Melbourne next week with my family, and plan to visit the GOR. We will leave Melbourne on fri morning and need to be back by Sat evening. We will start from Torquay, and want to see the major sights, including the Apostles. Please suggest a town to stay the night. Looking for clean, budget accomodation.

Also, pl suggest where one should 'turn around' and head back to Melbourne (using the highways). Suggestions on which are the must-see sights also welcome.

Thanks for your input.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

in your other threads, I thought there were heaps of good ideas. Did any appeal to you?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

From those, I did get the advise to stay overnight in Mel, and start the next day. However, I still don't have an idea as to which might be the best place to stay overnight. On the map it looks like the choice should be between Port Campbell, apollo bay or Warnaambool.

Thanks a lot.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

In general I wonder, is this a case of

*I do not know how to find my old threads*

or

*if I ask often enough someone will say what I want them to say*

and in this particular case given that you did not reply to my questions on your other thread I add is it a case of

*why doesn't someone just give me a ready made itinerary instead of making me think about details*?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

Hi MacKnee,

I am sorry if i seem to have offended you in any way. It was not meant to be. I went back to the earlier thread, and i guess i probably misunderstood your question of the 'whole itinerary'. I assumed you meant the time i had for the GOR.

In addition, we are in melbourne for 4 days, sydney for 9 and cairns for 4.

thanks.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

>>Hi MacKnee, __ I am sorry if i seem to have offended you in any way.<<

Not offended, frustrated. The questions we put to OP's are intended to help make progress with the trip planning. We try to help, we try to understand the OP's needs, we try to point the OP in the right direction, but sometimes it feels like there is no progress. Can I ask, how did you plan your holidays before the internet? I would have thought the internet has made trip planning easier but I often feel that is not happening (not just your query but many queries on the forum).

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

Do a search of the GOR on the forum - have a look at replies to your posts re the GOR. To get something out of your trip on the GOR you really need a couple of days.

If you only have 1.5 days to do the trip my suggestion would be to stop over night at Lorne or Apollo bay perhaps visit the 12 apostles and then return to Melbourne. It is going to be a very rushed trip on a difficult road to drive.

I agree with the sentiments Mac and Hami are expressing. Too much in too little time.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

Dear Famrick,

Thanks for your suggestion. I will look to stay overnight in Lorne.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

If you are starting in Geelong as has been suggested, a good idea, you would be better to continue to Port Campbell for an overnight stop. That's a better use of your only full day. Lorne is too soon. It's rushed but you will still have a lot more time than the day trip crowd, Melb to Melb. Save the 12 Apostles for the following morning, a better time to see them in better light without the afternoon tour bus crowds. So spend your half day seeing that area, no further, then head back to Melbourne on the inland highway.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,668 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

Another option would be to head down the inland route to Port Campbell see the 12 apostles - visit Cape Otway if time permitted and stay overnight at Apollo Bay. Then continue on the GOR - Anglesea road through to the Geelong Bypass road and on to Melbourne effectively doing the GOR in reverse.

Much of a muchness really.

Safe Travels

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1.5 days on the Great ocean road-where to stay?-Self drive

Thanks a lot, PenguinMac and Famrick,

I think after going through all the suggestions, I will look at Port Campbell as the overnight stop. From my research it looks like, the 12 apostles, London Bridge, the Loch Ard gorge and the Arch are the main attractions in the area. They all seem to be within close driving distance of Port Campbell.

I would like to try and see the apostles the first day in twilight and the next early morning. I am sure they will be very different views.

Any idea by what time the food joints in Port Campbell would shut?