We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afl game in May

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Afl game in May

Hi! I'm traveling to Australia from the US May 22-29 with my two sports crazed sons. They would like to see an AFL match while there. We will be in Melbourne May 22-25 and then Sydney after. Which city is better to see a game at? I see a MCG game of Collinwood vs West Coast on May 24. Is that a good choice?

Perth, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afl game in May

Collingwood v west coast would be a great game. The collingwood coach is the old west coast coach so always a bit of rivalry :) GO Eagles :) ps u might wanna try and buy tickets online before hand.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
177 posts
498 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afl game in May

Indeed Collingwood and West Coast will be a great game. Collingwood have the largest membership so the atmosphere will be good. West Coast are from Perth but have a good supporter base in Melbourne. Melbourne is the spiritual home of AFL football and the MCG is the best venue in Australia for AFL. As you are not familiar with the game, try to sit on level 2 or 3 in the Olympic or Ponsford Stand. That way you get a better view of the tactics and flow of the game. The boys (and you) might like to go for a tour of the MCG, either between 10-2pm on Friday or Sunday morning. After the tour you can visit the National Sports Museum. By the way - Natalie C confused her coaches. The present Collingwood coach didn't coach West Coast.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,410 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afl game in May

"The collingwood coach is the old west coast coach so always a bit of rivalry ' .....nope, not since 2011 :)

VacaAddict - the Collingwood vs West Coast game should draw a decent crowd but it won't be a sellout so you won't *have* to purchase tickets in advance. If you're happy to sit on Level 3, just buy general admission tickets at the gate.

If for some reason you don't end up making this game in Melbourne but you're in Sydney the following week for the Sydney vs Geelong game on Thursday May 29th, that will also be a good game and get a good crowd.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,968 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afl game in May

Which city is better? - sport mad Melbourne of course! Hope you have a great day out at the footy regardless. If you're in Melbourne, then you really have to barrack (root) for Collingwood , even though I'm a Carlton fan (i.e. their arch enemies) but us Melbournians have to stick together . LOL. :)

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,050 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afl game in May

There is only 1 team worth watching and that is Collingwood. Don't waste your time looking at other games. That game is a twilight game with a 4.40pm start and is the only game on in Melbourne that day. You can expect a crowd around 55,000 - 60,000. Although you won't need to buy a seat before hand, I would recommend it.

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afl game in May

For those who follow the sport and are not aligned to a specific team the Sydney Geelong match promises to be a closer higher quality game.

However Melbourne is the original home of AFL and has the better atmosphere. Its unfortunate your visit fall during the three rounds where a third of the teams have their mid season bye each week. Less choice of matches and less colour with teams supporters heading off to Melbourne venues during your stay.

As the Sydney Geelong match in Sydney on the 29th is scheduled for the lesser capacity SCG that match may sell out. I would say will sell out except Thursday night matches in Sydney is a new experiment which may or may appeal to spectators.

OP go with the match in Melbourne with Sydney as a back up, or if you really enjoy the first a good repeat AFL experience

Shepparton...
Level Contributor
202 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afl game in May

and I'll say VacaAddict that you'll fit right in with the Collingwood crowd judging by your spelling (Collinwood) - they're not the brightest :-) Will also give you a good introduction to a unique australian species called the Bogan (google it).

But Collingwood West Coast should be a good game and you have to see footy at the MCG so definitely go with that one.

And if you're sons are sports mad, head down to the MCG early and check out the National Sports Museum which is located inside the ground, you can get in half price with your game ticket.

Edited: 29 April 2014, 05:26
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
536 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afl game in May

Like Navy, I suggest that you book tickets beforehand. That way you're likely to get a better seats than you would if you buy them on the day. You can book online now at www.ticketek.com.au

When you're booking tickets, it helps to know which seats are undercover: see http://www.mcg.org.au/Events/Tickets.aspx

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afl game in May

I've been to games at the Sydney ground and the MCG and the atmosphere is certainly better at the MCG.

It will probably be a closer game in Syd than the one in Mel, but if you're going for the experience rather than any particular appreciation of the sport, I'd go to the Mel game

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afl game in May

We went to the Collingwood vs. West Coast game and it was one of the best things we did in Australia. Very close game with Collingwood pulling off the win. Loved the MCG and the entire atmosphere! Went and had drinks along the river afterwards with lots of the fans. Truly a great experience. Didn't understand all of the rules but you really didn't need to in order to get caught up in the excitement!!