We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

melbourne cup day by general admission

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
melbourne cup day by general admission

I am visiting the Melbourne cup day this year and wanted to know the value of a general admission ticket ie does it get you close to the track, parade ring, bars and betting? Where can you go with the ticket. I don't want to be stuck on a hill away from the track watching the racing.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Scopri
££ - £££, Italian
El Rincon
££ - £££, Mediterranean, European, Spanish
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,002 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: melbourne cup day by general admission

General admission will get you on the lawn area. As you can imagine, the Melbourne Cup attracts a huge crowd and even though general admission will get you near the track - but not the finishing line - you will need to get there very early to get a good position.

Where can you go with a general admission ticket? Every where except the marquees, members and grandstands. I don't think I have left any out. With a general admission ticket, you can get into a number of betting areas, eating places and near the mounting yard and parade ring. But because of the size of the crowd, it won't be easy to get near these.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
919 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: melbourne cup day by general admission

Some people pay alot more than a general admission ticket and dont see a horse other than on a video screen. There will be nearly 100,000 people in a stadium smaller than the MCG. I went 40 years ago and all I saw were the heads of the jockeys in 3 seconds so I never went again.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
32,535 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: melbourne cup day by general admission

Should you want to see the horses racing, then you have to be up in the stands; otherwise you will only see the jockeys caps.

4. Re: melbourne cup day by general admission

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:16