We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need some help

Allen, TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
need some help

My teenage niece and I will be traveling to Australia in July. We have 4 days (including our arrival day) in Melbourne and need help planning our time. I would like to see the Great Ocean Road and will probably do a day tour to see that. Also would like to see the penguins on Phillips Island, but that's another whole day tour, limiting our time to explore Melbourne. On this forum I have seen posts that we can also see penguins at St. Kilda beach but no specifics. Where exactly can you see them? I know there are less than Phillips but that's still more than we have in Texas!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need some help

At St Kilda Pier there is a stone breakwater and the penguins nest in that. I believe there is a platform that you can stand on and watch them come in from the ocean. It's much more casual that Phillip Island with lots less people. Plus in July it would be freezing sitting in the dark at the beach waiting for them at Phillip Island.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need some help

Here you.http://stkildapenguins.com.au/skp/?page_id=93 . As it is Winter and by the beach, it will be very cold due to the wind off the ocean so do make sure you rug up and have a wind jacket.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
82 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need some help

The penguins are not very visible on the breakwater unless you take one of the short boat trips from the pier to see them. It is also not so picturesque as they do not come on shore in groups like at Phillip island. If you pay for penguins plus at Phillip island. It's a bit more protected and you sit on wood not concrete with less crowds and it's a bit warmer. The breakwater your sighting is not nearly as good

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,548 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need some help

There are half day tours to Phillip Island, just to see the Penguins, which might be a good option for you. Have a look at the Little Penguin Bus.

5. Re: need some help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:16