We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snow in september 2014

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Topic
snow in september 2014

hi there, i m planning to bring my 4 yrs old daughter to melbourne in september 8-15. would like to take her to see snow.....( she is into frozen at the moment.....). can somebody or anybody give me an advise. would like to stay there playing with snow for one or two nites. which place is the best? (we want to wake up m see snow at our front door) n which transport is the best? she needs a car seat n driving is no no. tq guys

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,097 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snow in september 2014

Hi The winter and cold season for Victoria is May, June, July, August. I must admit I am not sure about September.

. obviously the locations to go are not far from Melbourne about 3 hours drive.

Check out the info below and see if that helps you.

visitmelbourne.com/international/melbournes-…

Does it have to be September or could you change to suit the guaranteed season when you would see and get snow.

Enjoy

Kind regards

ACA44

Melbourne
Level Contributor
82 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: snow in september 2014

Hi

Snow is not guaranteed at that time in September anywhere near Melbourne Mt Buller is probably your best bet about 4 hrs drive from Melbourne there are bus companies that go there There is no other way other than driving yourself and there may not be snow

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snow in september 2014

The season at Mt Hotham and Falls Creek ends on the 28th September and at Mt Buller on the 21st September.

If it's a good year with plenty of snow cover there should still be snow during the first half of September, but it's too early to tell yet.

On-mountain accommodation where you can wake up and see snow is not going to be cheap so be prepared.

Try to avoid going on weekends.That's when the locals head for the hills and room rates go up dramatically.

A cheaper way of doing it is to do a day tour. Bus companies offer these, leaving very early in the morning from Melbourne and returning late at night. You get a full day on the mountain.

mtbuller.com.au/Listings/…Coach

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snow in september 2014

Given that you are coming mainly to see snow, I would suggest that you look into changing your dates to arrive after the middle of July so that the likelihood of snow is more likely. If it is a bad snow season, the snow might be patchy in Sept too (on Mt Buller) and start to melt and turn mushy/muddy in places so pls be aware to avoid disappointment. There is no guarantee with Mother Nature.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snow in september 2014

As others have said, there is no guarantee of seeing snow in September. I would suggest you keep updated through this web site.

http://ski.com.au/snowreport.html

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: snow in september 2014

For snowplay, you should be fine on Buller at that time. For skiing, it would likely be patchy at best.

I found a pic of 31 August last year: www.gowildimages.com/Sports/Snow/i-83QSQqJ/

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snow in september 2014

I reiterate what has been said by the other posters: there is no guarantee of seeing snow in September. Can you change your dates to match "ski season".

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
9,233 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snow in september 2014

About 5 or 6 years ago, I went with my daughter to Falls Creek for their final weekend which I believe was in the middle of September.

It was half price entry. You could drive all the way to the car park. Then the lift to the next level up was free. There was plenty of snow at the next level up from the carpark.

I am not interested in skiing at all. However, it was the first time for my daughter to see snow. She spent the whole day tobogganing. Your 4 year old daughter might be able to handle a toboggan on a gentle slope.

We just went for the day. But there was plenty of accommodation available to stay at.

As previously posted, there is no guarantee of snow. However, if there is snow, Falls Creek is where I would be happy to go back to again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snow in september 2014

I have skied in September at Mt Buller a couple of times, but other years the season has finished earlier. If seeing snow is a priority, as mentioned, come in August instead.

Kuala Lumpur...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: snow in september 2014

hi everyone who reply my msg,

tqvm for advises n recommendations. i will check the website mentioned. my date is fixed in early september but i think we can bring forward our arrival to 5 or 6 sept. we will keep checking the weather n plan our snow trip when we got there. tq tq tq again.