We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time visit, need help to plan

singapore
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
First time visit, need help to plan

Hi, I have posted in the main Victoria forum previously (tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g255098-i277-k7…)

Since I have decided to base myself in Melbourne so am going to start posting in this forum instead. My trip will be from 7-16 Nov and the rough plan is as per below

D1 7 Nov (Fri) - Depart SG (night flight)

D2 8 Nov (Sat) - Reach Melbourne airport (around 6+am) and explore Melbourne city

D3 9 Nov (Sun) - Puffing Billy to Emerald Lake Park (Lakeside Station) + Melbourne city

D4 10 Nov (Mon) - Day trip to GOR with ATWAD

D5 11 Nov (Tue) - Day trip to Phillip Island with ATWAD

D6 12 Nov (Wed) - Explore Melbourne City + maybe something else

D7 13 Nov (Thu) - Day trip to Ballarat’s Sovereign Hill on my own

D8 14 Nov (Fri) - Explore Melbourne City + maybe something else

D9 15 Nov (Sat) - Day trip to Yarra Valley vineyards with friend

D10 16 Nov (Sun) - Some last minutes shopping before departing for SG

Do you think this will work? Any suggestions or info that may help in my planning?

Thanks in advance.

Melbournalia
Gift & Speciality Shops
Chic Empire Ugg Boots
Gift & Speciality Shops
Queen Victoria Market
Food Tours, Flea & Street Markets
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

I would leave at least a day between the 2 day trips. Both are very long days with late night ends. Doing them back to back will leave you exhausted. Why not have an 'explore Melbourne city' day in between?

Are you planning on driving to Ballarat? If not,there is a bus called the Goldrush Special that meets the morning train and takes visitors to Sovereign Hill and brings them back to the station in the afternoon. www.sovereignhill.com.au/visit/getting-here/

For your Sunday morning shopping before heading home, have a look at the Arts Centre markets. Some quite nice crafts that would make good souvenirs.

Your itinerary is a nice balance of activities both in Melbourne and in the surrounding areas.

Remember, Melbourne's weather is unpredictable - especially in Spring. It could be very warm or it could be quite cold, so come prepared with plenty of layers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

Hi lo, your itinerary looks much better now and as previously mentioned, it is a great balance between Melbourne and the regions around Victoria. I would also suggest that you allow a day of rest specifically between 10 Nov (Mon) - Day trip to GOR and 1 Nov (Tue) - Day trip to Phillip Island was these will be your most tiring days.

For your days in Melbourne CBD, you might wish to have a look at this website for interest. http://www.visitvictoria.com/ There is also the Melb Zoo should you wish to see Australian animals.

singapore
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

Hi emel49 and PeterWellington1234

Thanks for the quick responses. Yep, I will slot in an “Explore Melbourne City” day in between.

@emel49, no, I won’t be driving so thanks for the tip on the Goldrush Special bus and also for the tip to visit the Arts Centre markets. Hahaha… So I’ve heard about the weather. I will check about the temperature and weather closer to the date.

@PeterWellington1234, thanks for the website. I have a few places in mind, just have not planned the route yet. I will post more details on the itinerary for the Melbourne CBD after reading the city map.

singapore
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

Hi, I have some questions and I need help with. Please bear with me

Is it possible to buy Myki from the airport? Is it better to get the visitor package or just the normal Myki? Understand that top-up service is available in certain places? Is it available at the airport when purchasing the card?

Are trains from Flinders Street Railway Station and Southern Cross Station considered as suburb train service?

Goldrush Special – Is it better to buy the V/Line ticket online at on the day at the sales counter? The ticket includes ride from Southern Cross Station to Ballarat Station and a transfer to the Sovereign Hill and also the return trip right?

Questions about Puffing Billy

Confused about Lakeside Station and Emerald Station. So near Emerald Lake Park there are two stations? Can I take to Emerald Station, explore the town then walk over to Lakeside Station to take the return train to Belgrave? How much time will I have from the moment I alight up to the time of boarding at Lakeside Station? Or should I alight at Lakeside station and walk to Emerald Station instead for boarding the return train? Or both way work?

The website FAQ has this. Anyone tried walking before? Is the uphill very steep?

Is it an easy walk from Lakeside station to Emerald Station, and how long does this take?

Walking this distance takes approx. 20 minutes. Some of the distance is uphill.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

I can help with the myki, upon clearing immigration, turn left, purchase it via skybus counter. U will get 8dollars value and some coupons in the package. Good for 1 day of travel. You could top it up via 7/11 and certain tram stations.

Consider the 30 dollars skybus return ticket. Gd value for money for small groups.

Most of the time, the free city tram will suffice. Tram number 35.

Enjoy!

melbourne
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

If you are going to ballarat you could fit in the wildlife & reptile park. It is a great place to pat kangaroos if that is something you want to do that is the best place to do it as they are very friendly.

You could visit the wildlife park and see most things in 2 hours and still go to sovereign hill.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

Flinders St is a suburban station.

Southern Cross is part of the Suburban network but it is also the main station for country and interstate trains as well.

You don't need to buy tickets online and you don't need to book seats to get to Ballarat. Your train ticket includes the bus ride to and from Sovereign Hill. Keep the train ticket and show it at the ticket office at Sovereign Hill and you'll get a 10% discount on admission.

Check the times carefully on the website - I don't think that the bus meets every train (I could be wrong).

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

Agree with makeup lady. Best wildlife park ever, IMHO.

singapore
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

@Briyano, thanks for the info on Myki.

@makeup_ladyMelbourne, thanks for the suggestion. will see how best to fit that in.

@emel49, thanks for the clarification. was confused while planning because going to Belgrave station involves taking train from Flinders St while going to Ballarat involves taking train from Southern Cross St.

oh! so V/Line is the train operator and so the V/Line train ticket will include train ride (Southern Cross to Ballarat) + transfer (to & from SH) + 10% discount on SH admission. urm... how about the train ride from Ballarat to Southern Cross? sorry for asking dumb qns.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
918 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time visit, need help to plan

For your day on Puffing Billy. Arrive at Belgrave station at 9:30am for the 10:30 train to Lake Side. It is a Sunday and busy so you need time to buy tickets and find seats (no reservations). At Lake Side you have one hour here before the train returns to Belgrave. Take this train to Emerald village and alight here. You will then have nearly 2 hours for the next train to Belgrave. Plenty of time to have lunch at the Bakery and look around the village. If you decide to walk from the Lake Side it is very steep and there may not be any pavement to walk on at times. When you leave Lake Side let the conductor know that you intend to get out at Emerald.

There is an alternative to ride Puffing Billy one way to Emerald and then take the public bus back to Belgrave at your leasure. If you are using a MYKI to travel on the train from Melbourne to Belgrave then you can use this for the bus too.