We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
457 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

It is our first time in Asia and I am wondering if anyone can give me an idea of a good price for a one way flight between HKG and MEL? We are looking at Thursday, Jan 22 as the flight date. Currently I see Malaysia has one way airfare for $515 CAD and was wondering if that is a good price or not. We are mainly looking at the legacy carriers but will consider the LCC's. Thank you.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

Unfortunately Homer. You are asking the wrong people. We do not know if an airfare from Hong Kong is 'cheap' as we will be buying in the opposite direction and we also use the Australian dollar, not Canadian. So even more, an airfare that is available to you in your currency may not be offered to Australians and visa versa.

Tbh, a cheap airfare is one you are comfortable with. And fir me a CAD$500. Fare one way appears reasonable if it includes all your taxes etc. also if you mean Malaysian airlines you will be taking 2 flights as they do not fly direct.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

Thank you 6andy6, my purpose in asking is to determine what is considered a good price for the route. For example, we regularly fly from our home to Paris so I have an idea when I hear a price if it is good or not so was hoping to get the same type of guidance because I am not familiar with travel in Asia/Australia. If 1000 HKD is a good price for a one way, then I will convert it to CAD to get an idea of what price I should be looking for.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,148 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

HK - Melb is a route i do a few times a year on either Cathay Pacific, Singapore Air or Malaysian Air. I have never paid one way, but return would average around $1100AUD in off peak or $1700 in peak.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,777 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

<<If 1000 HKD is a good price for a one way>>

Err, you aren't going to get very far on 1000 HKD. Maybe as far as Singapore or K.L.? (1000 HKD = about 140 AUD/CAD)

Please try to use AUD on the Australian forum. You do the conversion with Google or any other tool, although right now AUD and CAD are just about equal for these purposes.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

try AirAsia

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

AirAsia is a good start, as is Jetstar (both are LCC). This Air Travel forum on TA is also helpful. Hints from travel agents and frequent travelers.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_T…

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

I personally would prefer a direct flight.

It really depends on your preference but flying one stop just adds 2-3, and extra messing about. But if cost is your number one factor, I'd look at GA and MH, and willing to bet they won't be much more expensive than AK or JQ

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

Thank you for your help. Just for clarification, I have looked a numerous consolidators like Expedia, Skyscanner, Kayak along with airline sites but the challenge is when you don't fly the route, when is a price a good price for the route. For example, we fly from our home to Paris fairly regularly so if someone throws me a price for the route, I can tell them its a reasonably good deal or not.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,391 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

I understand what you're saying, but as Navy explained in an earlier post, the great majority would not be doing singular legs ex Australia, they would be familiar with return flights or multi city tickets. Which is the reason why you haven't been given a definitive answer on what is a 'good' one way flight for that route, at that time of year.

Edited: 02 June 2014, 15:14
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
457 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable Airfare - HKG to MEL

I'd even be good with round trip airfares then, mainly because if the round trip is near a "good" price, I would have to guess that the one-way would be as well (yes, it is an assumption but in the absence of knowledge, I am willing to make it). Thank you.