We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

My husband is thinking of renting a car to drive from airport to Olinda. We're staying a night there, explore the nearby villages, the next day drive to Melbourne city. He feels it's better. Not expensive like getting a taxi, yet it saves us time compared to taking public transport all the way to Olinda.

Any advice for first time driving in Melbourne? Anybody can give some tips on driving from Tullamarine to Olinda and Olinda to Melbourne city? I'm not very comfortable. We're not used to Winter and driving in a foreign country - not my thing. So want to know as much as possible before we reached Melbourne.

Please share the important things that we need to take note of.

Thank you very much.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

Hi Summerbabies

First of all, will you be arriving in Melbourne after an overnight flight from Singapore, or other travel that will result in you not being well rested? If yes, then it is dangerous to jump into a car after a sleepless night, even more so on unknown roads in a foreign country.

If this is the case consider spending your first day in Melbourne city and then hiring a car later in the trip to visit the Dandenong Ranges. Then a car will be agreat way to get around and explore the area. I would recommend hiring a GPS unit with the car so you can navigate with ease.

Driving in Melbourne city you need to be aware of trams and hook turns …vic.gov.au/Home/…InformationForTourists.htm

Have a great trip.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

Hi ShazDwn

We will be taking the midnight flight and reaching Melbourne at 6.30am.

We sleep in the plane, hubby says he will feel fine to drive.

Thank you for the info!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

I got the below route.

Is it accurate? Where do you suggest we can stop by during our journey to rest?

72.2 km - about 1 hour 3 mins

1. Head south on Service Rd toward Bonney Ct

0.2 km

2. Turn left onto Depot Drive

0.2 km

3. Turn right onto Centre Rd

0.2 km

4. At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Melrose Drive

0.7 km

5. Take the ramp to M2

0.7 km

6. Turn left onto M2

Partial toll road

20.7 km

7. Take exit West Gate Freeway to merge onto M1 toward City/S.E. Suburbs

Partial toll road

23.5 km

8. Take the Ferntree Gully Rd/Route 22 exit toward Springvale Road/Route 40

0.6 km

9. Merge onto Ferntree Gully Rd

11.6 km

10. Turn right onto Burwood Hwy/State Route 26

3.8 km

11. Continue onto Mount Dandenong Tourist Rd/C415

Continue to follow C415

10.1 km

Olinda VIC 3788, Australia

Melbourne
Level Contributor
689 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

Hi Summerbabies, it is quite safe to drive here.... provided you are well rested. Keep an eye out on the freeway for the signs directing you to the SE suburbs and you will be fine. If your flight is arriving during the week you will likely experience heavy traffic and it could take an hour just to reach Ferntree Gully Road. I wouldn't suggest resting until you have left the freeway at this point. You will easily find a petrol station or car park etc. where you can rest or stretch your legs if need be. Don't drive too fast on the windy roads once up in the Dandenongs as they can get slippery after rain.

Enjoy the trip, Olinda and surrounds are worth the drive.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,403 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

So if you are on a midnight flight you will get maybe 3 or 4 hours sleep if you are extremely lucky? Have you ever done a flight like this before to know how you will feel when you arrive?

I'm sorry if this doesn't feel helpful to you but I still think you would be putting yourselves and other drivers at risk if you drive unfamiliar roads in an unfamiliar car with little sleep. I would again urge you to plan a day in Melb first.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,521 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

The airport is on the west side of the city, Olinda is on the east. You have to drive past the city to get from one to the other, so you really aren't saving any time doing Olinda the first day.

My advice would be get a taxi from the airport into to city on the first day, spend the day exploring the city and getting over jet lag, then the next day hire a car and go out to Olinda. This way you avoid driving straight after a long flight, avoid a big chunk of the toll roads and can avoid the peak hour traffic you will face if you drove from the airport in the morning.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

You should be fine for the drive, I wouldn't be concerned.

You'll need to pay extra for the toll road, but it may be the simplest route. Car hire place may charge you the daily rate of ~$12 or so. GPS could be the simplest navigation for you. Otherwise, you can avoid tolls by taking the M80 Ring Road, then 46, 44, 40 to Burwood Hwy...

Nothing much to see 'on the way', but you could deviate to Warrandyte bakery for breakfast by the Yarra River perhaps... www.google.com/search…

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

Would you be OK with hubby driving with a blood alcohol level that would be illegal in your country? Driving with less than 4hrs sleep in the previous 24 hours is akin to doing this... and this is before you even consider things like unfamiliar car, unfamiliar roads, unfamiliar road rules, and unfamiliar driving habits of other road users - what you are proposing is just plain dangerous!

Please heed the advice of the LOCALS who know how dangerous this is... if not for your own safety then the safety of other road users.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

<<I'm not very comfortable. We're not used to Winter and driving in a foreign country - not my thing>>

It appears that you are not comfortable with driving in Winter, in a foreign country - so then you shouldn't. It's your holiday too and you should not be stressed out by it. Also, what time will you be arriving in Melbourne as it gets dark around 6pm in Winter so this will affect your drive.

singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for first self drive from Tullamarine to Olinda

Thanks all for the advise and concern.

Our flight is at 9pm Singapore time. Arriving in Melbourne at 6.30am.

We wake up at 6+ everyday. So we purposely choose this timing so that we could sleep on the plane.

My husband is confident. I'm not but then I won't be driving. I just thought taking public transport will be less stress than driving. But he thinks it is easier to drive. Maybe we could do half half? Public transport and taxi? What do you think? Taxi all the way is really expensive. Airport to Tullamarine cost AUD100+? Not forgetting the next day we need to go from Olinda to melbourne city. But I read that it will only be an hour drive. That's why my husband thinks it will be ok.

Please advice!

Thank you!