We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Weather

Helsinki, Finland
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Melbourne Weather

I am visiting Melbourne, Australia in the first half of July 2014. I have tried finding specific information about this topic online, but there is nothing that has really felt conclusive or accurate. So, I hope some Melbournians can help me here. If you can answer some or all of these questions, I would really appreciate it.

-What will the average day and night time temperatures be?

-Does it usually feel colder or warmer than it actually is? (ex. if it is 13*C, does it feel more like 17* or 8*?)

-How often does it rain and for how long?

-When/If it rains, is it usually a heavy downpour or light drizzle?

-How well are the houses/hotels insulated from the cold?

-Do you need gloves, hats or scarves?

-Any other information regarding weather.

Cheers!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
53 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Weather

1. Temperatures reach an average high of 13 degs Celsius and an average low of 5.

2. Though these temperatures arent as cold as winters experienced in other countries, such as yours, it can feel colder in Melbourne due to extended periods of rainfall and cold winds coming from the south. I have experienced below zero and snowing in Europe and its feels warmer than Melbourne. The winds are the problem here, they are what we call lazy winds, they go through you, not around you.

3. The average is 15 days of rain in July, and this can be days of annoying drizzle or light rain, or occasional heavy downpours.

4. The hotels will all be fitted with climate control, aircon/heating, as you would expect from hotels. Some back packer type places may not have the same level of climate control. Houses are heated in some way.

5. Gloves, scarfs, hats can be useful in July. Good footwear also, especially if raining.

6. Melbourne can have 4 seasons in one day, even in winter, so you need to be prepared. Layer dressing is always a good option. It is not unheard of for the temp to get to zero, near zero or below zero at night, but not so much in the city area, but definitely in the suburbs.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Weather

LOL I've just come back from your city and now you're coming to mine. I found the weather in Helsinki to be quite variable eg raining in the morning but sunny afternoon, and even in winter in Melbourne it can be the same, but the temperature will generally be between 12-15 degrees. 16 or 17 in July is considered above average. If the wind is blowing, especially from the south, it will feel colder so you'll need a jacket or coat. But then again you might think our winter is more like your spring, so judge by that. However it is more likely to be cloudy than sunny in July. With regards rain, mostly it is drizzle and hangs around, but if we get our classic "four seasons in one day" it might be a downpour on and off with sunny patches in between.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Weather

accuweather.com/en/…

Helsinki, Finland
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Weather

Thank you. It's a really big help.

Park City, Utah
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Weather

I was wondering if someone might be able to tell what the weather is like in Melbourne in November? I am planning a trip to Australia in late November.

Thank you

Pschnieders

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Weather

Go to weather link above and change the month to November

Edited: 26 June 2014, 10:44
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
7 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Weather

What about in october? Whats the weather like during the first 2weeks of October?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Weather

Seriously ? Click on the link !

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne Weather

Late November should be quite nice, not much rain and about 20-25 each day. However Melbournes weather is VERY unpredictable and would strongly advise that you ask again just before you arrive. Always bring a warm jumper, something water proof AND summer clothes! Some of the attractions (like penguin parade) are freezing even in height of summer so be prepared for every situation!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne Weather

fhalabiah, the wind chill factor can make it colder than expected. My Finnish cousin was here one Winter & commented on how much colder the wind made it. If you are planning on visiting the GOR &/or Phillip Island, then you are likely to experience that freezing cold wind.

Hat's, gloves & scarves will be needed as you will be outside sightseeing. We tend to wear layers here as we don't need the thick coats you wear in Finland unless you are going to the snow. I did spend Christmas in Finland in 2011, though it didn't drop much below freezing that year.

Most places will have adequate heating, though we don't have those lovely heated bathroom floors.