We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne or Adelaide

Canadian
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Melbourne or Adelaide

We are in our 50's, love to travel, and are spending 6 weeks in Auz. starting early Jan. Our first week will be rest and relaxation, recouping from jet lag and work, and of course we will want to explore the city and area we are in.

After that, we will fly to Cairns and take our time driving to Sydney, leaving the last week to explore Sydney.

For the first week, would you suggest Adelaide or Melbourne?

Thanks for any input.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

That is prob a bit of an unfair question to post on any specific forum as off course a lot of melburnians will be biased and visa versa.

It owuld also depend son things such as oyur lifestyle, interests and budgets.

Melbourne is off course the bigger of the two cities and therefore would be its nature have more of most things (restaurants etc) however Adelaide is closer (drive wise) to a more 'outback' or rural experience. Both have there own good wine districts close to town, both have good places to eat (although Melbourne is by repute a foody city) and from my tours aorund Australia and the world Melblourne is up there with street cafe culture (hip and funky - some would say bohemian-think old world europe). Adelaide would prob have a more consistant weather whereas Melbourne has spikes- 40degrees for two days then shooting down to 15 or 20degrees.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

Forgot to say Melbourne to me is very European in its culture and lifestyle with a Australian slant specially inner city where as Adelaide is more Austrlian with a smaller city/country town feel. And I mean neither of those as a criticism .

The local government website for tourism in Melbourne is;

www.visitvictoria.com

and for Adelaide is;

www.adelaide.southaustralia.com

Why dont you have a gander and come back with maybe three or four specifics and we could give our advise.

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
19 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

Don't forget, Adelaide is either boring or shut.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

Well rdk1 at least we dont get our all our jollies from 26 men playing aerial ping pong on one day in September. And even then most of them probably wont even come from Melbourne. With any luck at least 18 of them will come from Adelaide!!!

And maybe everything's shut because were all off doing much more entertaining things like drinking fantastic wine in the Barossa or Clare Valley!!

(And ssshhh by the way folks its not true that everything's shut. We are open just as much if not more than Mlebourne!)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

Of course should be 36 men - but then again???

mfj
sydney, australia
Level Contributor
646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

Sorry Nozzie! The answer is Melbourne - hands down!

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

Hi

Why don't you fly Adelaide relax for 4 days maybe in Glenelg, drive to Melbourne in 3 days and stay in Melbourne for another 3 days. Maybe skip 2 days Sydney, still 5 left -lol- ? With 6 weeks I would visit them both. We found Adelaide very relaxing.

Tet{:o)-

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,903 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

Look I dont actually have a big preference one over the other so I dont know why people want to try to pick an argument with me- but if you are going to say "Adelaide's boring or shut " that is just pathetic'

When I post even the mildest criticism of Melbourne on here about 3 or 4 usual suspects jump on me like a ton of bricks and if you are going to say Melbourne "wins hands down" then in my opinion you should be offering some reason as to why you think so!

I live in Adelaide I like living here. I go to melbourne a lot I like it there too.

It seems that a lot of Mlebourne people are so narrow that they cant take any criticism of their city without getting very defensive and that some people also assume that just because I live in Adelaide I would say that its better than Melbourne or somewhere else for a holiday. Well you are totally wrong all of you. End of story.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,815 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

Now Nozzie...you are not really being very accurate. I have watched as you and Aussie John have had a long running difference of opinion over a period of time but it is a rash generalization to say others....3 or 4 usual suspects as you put it....have a go at you. I am guessing you put me in that boat and that isn't correct. I have discussed the sports aspect of Melbourne that you don't particularly like but I certainly haven't knocked your views on that...as long as they are informed.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne or Adelaide

And prob me too as i had a run in with some comments prob some 6 or even 8 (or maybe longer) months ago. But I havent said anything since and avoided the subject so maybe a chip on a shoulder?