We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Myki card

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
johor
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Myki card

Hello,

I will be travelling to melbourne with husband,a 17y.o ,12 y.o and 10 y.o children.

I will be staying in st kilda east and will need to use myki card for about 2 and half days going to CBD.My questions are

1-do my kids need to have a myki card each?

2-what are the amount I need to buy for myki?

Thanks a lot

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
366 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Myki card

1) Yes each person needs their own Myki

2) Adult Myki $6, Child Myki $3 to purchase

Then put money on them, can be done at point of purchase, Adult $7 per day, Child $3.50 per day

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,277 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Myki card

You can buy your Myki cards at a number of places, such as 7-11's. When you do buy the Myki card (they will not have any $'s on them), put enough money on them to cover your next trip(s). To ensure you do not have to go through the hassle of claiming a refund on any unused monies, just place enough money on the Myki card for your immediate trip.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,044 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Myki card

Your 17 year old is classified as an adult (children are 4-16) so you need to buy three adult and 2 child MYKI cards.

That works out at $24 just for the MYKI cards. Ouch, I feel your pain!

Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. Do ask at your hotel before buying the cards. Some hotels have cards (without money on them) that they loan out to guests.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Myki card

I think the price has just gone up? Also, from January, there will be no Zone 2.

On Sunday it's half price...

You can run the card into debt - eg $0.01 left in credit will become -$3.57 or so after a trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Myki card

But be careful about letting it go into debit - if an inspector gets on they won't look at it too kindly and they'll probably fine you. The machine will make a distinctive noise if you're in debit.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Myki card

Re post #4 - the fares were last increased back in January. They're here:

…vic.gov.au/tickets/metropolitan-myki-fares/

What was supposed to change on 1 July is that, in relation to the 2 hour fare, you had to touch on within 2 hours of your first touch on to get the benefit. Until now, you had until the next complete hour after your first touch on. That is, it had been that if you touched on at 9.01 am, so long as you touched on again by 12.00 (2 hours after 10 am), you'd be charged the 2 hour fare. This is changing so that the 2 hour fare only applies if you touch on by 11.01 am. However, implementation of this has apparently been put back for a month or so, instead of being on 1 July.

Note that the important thing is the time you touch on. It doesn't matter that your journey hasn't finished within the 2 hours.

The proposal to apply from 1 January is not to abolish zone 2, because it will still apply for trips just within that zone. Rather, the fares for zone 1 + 2 trips will be capped at the zone 1 fare. They say that this won't put upward pressure on the prices of zone 1 fares (thus making short trips even more expensive), but I guess we'll have to wait to see.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 13:17
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
61 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Myki card

At post #5, seriously? Surely fining you for being under $0 would make the ability to go under $0 redundant. The minimum balance should be over zero in that case. Further, if you got a fine and a negative balance (of which you must pay back on your next top up) that would be double punishment. I would certainly contest any ticket you get for going into negative balance.

Also, I just asked a friend knows a bit more about myki than I do and he says that as long as you've touched on you'll be okay. When you touch on it shows you your current balance but deducts the maximum fare in advance from your card. When you touch off it refunds back what you didn't use and shows you the final balance. That means when you touch on, it may seem like you're in the positive when you're actually in the negative at the time an inspector sees your card. But you don't get fined for that.

Edit: unless you meant don't let it be in the negative when you touch on the next time? In which case, my correction is that they won't just probably fine you. They definitely will as you have no valid ticket.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 14:17
johor
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Myki card

Thank you for all the response.This myki sounds complicated though.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Myki card

re post #8. Myki isn't complicated to use. Yes, there are issues that the locals love to discuss, but it's essentially just a stored value card the same as London's Oyster card and similar systems around the world.

10. Re: Myki card

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 03:19
Edited: 03 July 2014, 03:19