We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Penang
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

We're a family of 4 adults and 1 toddler visiting Melbourne in March 2015 for my sister's wedding. We're undecided between about Melbourne apartments on 16 Liverpool St and Alto Hotel on 636 Bourke st. Both has kitchen which I need to sometimes prepare simple meals for my little one. Both have good reviews on ta which makes it hard to choose. Would prefer the one that has more good restaurants, eateries, supermarket and public transport nearby not to mention a safer well lit area. Thanks in advance for all your advises ; )

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,520 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

We stay at the City Tempo apartments when in Melbourne, which have secure interconnecting studio apartment for families.

The apartments are close to Victoria Market, and the free circular tram, Metro, opposite is a supermarket and there are plenty of restaurants near.

www.citytempo.com.au

www.visitmelbourne.com

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Of the two, I would personally choose the About Melbourne Apartments over the Alto Hotel, simply on location.

The Alto is at the Southern Cross Station end of the city, which is further from all the restaurants and shops than the east (Spring St) end.

Both are near public transport, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Both are near supermarkets.

The Alto is a lot closer to all the strip clubs and bars of King St and that would put me off but it wouldn't really be an issue except perhaps late at night on weekends.

Penang
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Thanks for your advice! Have a great day ;)

singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Hi. I've stayed at the apartments on 16 Liverpool St. Very comfy and lady manager is nice. Apartment block is situated in a quaint alley not far from the top end of Chinatown (Lt Bourke St, 1min walk). The only issue I had, and I must emphasise that the apartment was really very good, was that there would be the occasional loud clanging of beer bottles being thrown into the dumpster in the alley. The bar in the alley seems super hip btw, gets crowded in the evenings. There used to be a Malaysian eatery just next to the apartment, not quite sure if it's still there. The nearest tourist tram stop is at Parliament House stop, abt 3min walk.

There is another place called the QV apartment which I personally like very much because of its location within a mixed development with restaurants (paparich, max brenner, HK delights, etc), supermarkets (Coles & Laguna Asian Grocery) and it has covered carparking for residents. Search Habitat Apartments Melbourne and let Kim know Alex Yap from Singapore recommends this place highly. They have a pool of one bed one bath and two bed one bath apartments spread across two towers which are linked. I've stayed at units on level 17 all the way to as high as level 33. There is a heated pool on level 45/46. The biggest plus point is having all the amenities in the same building. Need food, head downstairs. Need groceries for home cooking, head downstairs. Very very convenient. There is also BigW (my wife's favourite) for shopping (clothes, shoes, almost anything and everything!). If you are keen, let me know. I can feed you more info. I just got back from melb 2 weeks ago and have been having withdrawal symptoms! Wish I was still there!

Cheers, alex

Edited: 02 July 2014, 14:00
Penang
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Thanks so much Alex. Melbourne is wonderful isn't it. Its my 3rd trip there but 1st one for my daughter who is 2. With a toddler there's so much to consider. Appreciate all your feedback, thank you for taking the time to explain the details. Cheers!

singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Hi Stefanie.

You're most welcome.

We've traveled there maybe 5 times in the past 8 years! For my kids, the last trip was their 3rd! We love melbourne so much. So much to see and do within and without. We absolutely love the countryside, the fresh air, the skies, the rainbows...

With a toddler, you'll definitely want to be around food options and groceries. We had most of our breakfasts and dinners at 'home' so it was really convenient to have Coles (eh wait, maybe it's Woolies) just downstairs. Milk, oats, cereal, bread, fruits and veggies... and they are open till 9pm. The eateries within the QV building serve really decent munch. Gets really crowded at makan time peak hour. Chinatown yumcha restaurants are 5min stroll away, Russell St and Swanston St food options are plentiful and reached within 2min walk from different exits of the QV building. QV market is about 7min walk from yet another exit. Darn good lah I tell you. Haha. In terms of the furnishing and condition of individual units (as they are not a hotel or serviced apartment) it can vary. All in all, you get the standard Queen bed with 2nd Queen bed or 2 Singles in a separate bedrooms. The master bedroom has an attached bath that doubles as a common bathroom. Kitchen has a stove and hood, microwave oven, dishwasher. There's a washer and dryer in each unit and standard living room furniture and TV. Just don't expect the Ritz and you'll be absolutely delighted with the apartment. Parking is extra 20Aud a day but you need not pay if you don't plan to drive and park there. A company rep will meet you at an appointed time at your convenience to hand you the keys and access cards and check you into the apartment. Checkout is the typical neaten the place, throw your rubbish, leave the keys on the table and SMS checkout kind of arrangement.

www.habitatapartments.com.au

My only fear is you may not get the dates you want as these apartments are super popular with long and short term residents. The damage is anything from 208-265/night depending on length of stay. I've stayed 3 nights to 5 nights before and though there's a minimum 5 nights restriction, you can still email Kim to get a rate for shorter stays. Just expect to pay the higher of the stated range. Hope this helps. I could I on and on but I'll start to long like i work for habitat apartments! Haha.

Regards.

Penang
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Hi Alex, I've looked into the reviews on habitat apartments and they aren't good ones. I've an ocd on cleanliness & neatness. Seems like most people commented on how the apartment isn't in good condition & dirty. Do you have any feedback on these? Thanks again.

8. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 03 July 2014, 04:09
singapore
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Hi Stefanie.

If cleanliness is a concern, I would go for the newer apartments like Citytempo or serviced apartments like Mantra and Citadines. That is not to say the QV units are not up to the mark. I have yet to stay in one that I would remotely even call dirty. Like I said, just don't expect the ritz. For this price and location, I personally would choose this place again on my next trip. The convenience far outweighs the other factors. I have 2 boys (4yo and 6yo) and we had no issues with them getting sick whatsoever. My wife also has a thing with cleanliness, but it was not an issue for her. I think that speaks volumes. Disclaimer here is that conditions can vary from room to room. If you want, you can request for unit 20.09 which we last stayed at. It is one of the bigger units cos it's at the corner and at the end of the corridor. That unit was pretty clean too. You may want to just sound out your concerns due to the negative feedback that you've read about cleanliness so they can perhaps buck up and make sure they give you a better room.

With regards to Citytempo, I had a friend who stayed there for 3 nights in 2 connected studios for 2 kids and 2 adults. Quite good. Clean for sure. These apartments are about 2yr old so you should expect things are still in very good shape. It's a 3-4min walk to QV market from there. My brother stayed at the Citadines (Bourke St) when they had a promotion which was good value. Standard rates however are 300aud/night and upwards I think. Breakfast may be provided for some of these services apartments. You may want to check that out.

16 Liverpool St will always have a place in my heart cos of the street name, and it really is in a very quaint alley which I like. If you are considering this option, you may want to just ask them to put you on the upper floors. I stayed at level 1 before (which is level 2 cos ground floor is G), and the clanging of the bottles is amplified cos of the low floor and enclosed alley way. Nicely furnished and clean apartments definitely.

Hope this has been helpful.

Regards.

Edited: 03 July 2014, 04:08
Penang
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: About Melbourne Apartments or Alto Hotel on Bourke

Hi Alex, truly appreciate your thoughts & advise. I will try to do more research on apartments based accommodation in Melbourne including the ones you suggested. You've been a tremendous help really :)