We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chip in Credit Card; August 1st Chaneover

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
63 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Chip in Credit Card; August 1st Chaneover

My husband and I are travelling to Melbourne in mid-August (we visit twice a year for his work). I've been reading that as of August 1st, Magnetic Stripe readers will be phased out and Australia will be going to a "Chip and Pin" system .... but people with a foreign credit card (e.g. such as me from the U.S.) can still sign as long as there is someone there to take our signature. (See http://www.pinwise.com.au/). Thus, we had new credit cards issued with a chip which are "Chip and sign" cards (we have not been able to locate anywhere in the U.S. which has a "Chip and Pin" card!). Two questions:

1. Is my understanding of this correct? (I'd hate to be in Australia for two weeks with a non-functioning credit card!)

2. Given all of this, does anyone know what is happening to ATM debit cards? We typically use my Bank of America card at Westpac ATMs. My card does not have a chip -- instead it is a magnetic stripe with a pin. Will the ATM still take my magnetic stripe card?

Thanks for any assistance.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,250 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chip in Credit Card; August 1st Chaneover

Magnetic stripes are not being phased out.

What is going is signing of dockets for credit cards - for Australian issued cards. Australians will need to use pins sometime after 1st August.

Foreign-issued cards will still be useable with a signature.

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,792 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chip in Credit Card; August 1st Chaneover

Yes, there seems to be a huge amount of mis-information about this, as the only change relates to signatures versus PINs, and only for Australian-issued cards. It has nothing whatsoever to do with chips. PINs and chips are separate concepts and have different purposes - the terminology of "chip and PIN" is very misleading as they are NOT directly related.

I guess that chips and PINs were introduced around the same time in Europe and somehow that terminology became popular there, but this 1st August change in Australia has nothing to do with whether the card has a chip or not.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,250 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chip in Credit Card; August 1st Chaneover

More info on this long thread: tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k7…

4. Re: Chip in Credit Card; August 1st Chaneover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2015, 07:16