We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Campsites in/near Melbourne

Peterborough
Level Contributor
87 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Campsites in/near Melbourne

Coming over mid November and after few days in Sydney, and trip to Adelaide to see an old friend, we're picking up a camper to drive back round the Great Ocean Road to Sydney. Have the camper 24/11-4/12 and plan to stop for a couple of days in Melbourne along with other stops. Other half has done her research via the internet to get details of some camp sites that we can park up at in and around Melbourne (not got any names as can't find her list!) but I was wondering if anyone on here has any suggestions? We'd need the site to have basic toilets/wash facilities and power points. But after that no real need of anything as intend to go into the city in the evening for eating etc. Will use local taxi's for that so don't have to park up camper (and can relax with a beer or three!)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Campsites in/near Melbourne

Most of the caravan parks are quite a distance from Melbourne CBD. As far as I'm aware the closest ones would be Melbourne Big 4 Holiday Park (Coburg) and Ashley Gardens Big 4 Holiday Village (Braybrook).

Both of these are approx. 12km from the CBD. At a guess perhaps $15-20 taxi fare each way (others may be able to give you a more accurate estimation of fares or alternative public transport options). There are also some excellent dining/pub options closer to the caravan parks if you weren't fussed about eating in the CBD.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Campsites in/near Melbourne

Also one at Williamstown, a little closer to the city and better dining options closer.

visithobsonsbay.com.au/accommodation/hobsons…

Traralgon, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Campsites in/near Melbourne

There's also Chrystal Brook in Doncaster.

Peterborough
Level Contributor
87 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Campsites in/near Melbourne

Cheers Morticia, think the BIG4 Ashley Gardens ticks our boxes. We'll be coming in that side of town (via Torquay) so that's cool.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Campsites in/near Melbourne

Hi theboybev, I've just noticed your post and can't in all conscience have you spend your few days in Melbourne staying in Braybrook. I understand that you need someone to park the van but the Western suburbs of Melbourne are not where you want to be. Head south; I know that there are caravan parks in Seaford and Chelsea which are 20 kms from the city but on a direct train line which will have you in the heart of the city in 25 mins. You will then be staying bayside, with fantastic beaches, amazing restaurants and pubs, and in a safe area. We have daylight savings in November so it won't be dark until 9 - plenty of time to see everything that our fantastic city has to offer. But PLEASE reconsider staying in the West......

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Campsites in/near Melbourne

@Fimel: perhaps you might wish to elaborate on the reasons for not staying in the West so as to educate the OP. I don't know anything about Braybrook so I am curious myself.

7. Re: Campsites in/near Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:15