We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Topic
Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

Hi all,

I would like to have a day trip to the following points:

1.Tesselaar Tulip Festival

2. Puffing Billing Railway

3. Philips Island

I did visit to the puffing billy website(www.puffingbilly.com.au).But I do not know which train station should start(if I would like to have a quick experience tour on the puffing train and would like to return back to the original car park place's station)

Please advise.

Thank you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

For Puffing Billy just do Belgrave to Menzies Creek and return. Try and avoid the first departure of the day if you can. It's packed with people from coach tours.

King Island...
Level Contributor
353 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

agree with PenguinMac ..belgrave to menzies creek is the quickest and least expensive ,also from memory most of the trains cross there so you should be able to jump off one an onto the one returning to belgrave. with the exception of the first service to emerald

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

Hi Irene, I assume you will have a car?

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

ya.. I will rent a car and do a self drive tour...DoesPuffing Billing Railway station provides car park? And is it chargeable?

Kuala Lumpur...
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

If I embark from belgrave to menzies creek, is this a 1 way ticket or round trip?

Or I should buy the return ticket from menzies creek station and back to belgrave in order to pick up my car?

What would be the ticket charges looks like and how long does the journey take?

Please advise.TQ

Melbourne
Level Contributor
713 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

Hello Irene, parking details in Belgrave and other information can be found here:

www.puffingbilly.com.au/plan-your-visit/FAQs/

Pricing details and timetables can be found here:

www.puffingbilly.com.au/services-fares/

I would recommend you leave Phillip Island for another day if possible. It is a long distance from your other two activities and is a full day trip on its own, especially if you're staying in Melbourne.

Enjoy.

7. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 July 2014, 13:14
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

I'm assuming you will be here while the Tulip Festival is on as it's not a year round event.

A ride on Puffing Billy & a visit to the Tulip Festival will take up a lot of your day, so I agree that it will be better to do Phillip Island another day if it's only a day trip.

If you are planning to stay overnight on Phillip Island, then you could head there after the Tulip Festival to see the penguins, stay overnight & explore the next day.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
865 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

Hello Irene

The shortest return trip on Puffing Billy is to Menzies Creek. To do this you must catch the 12:30 or 2:30 pm trains as these cross with the earlier trains returning to Belgrave. You buy a return ticket and when you arrive at Menzies Creek the return train will arrive on the opposite side of the platform. If you are travelling by car you may wish to start out early morning and visit the Tulip Festival first and then do the Puffing Billy at 12:30. This train wont be as busy as the earlier trains.

You can then travel to Philip Island but if you intend to see the penguin parade remember that you need to be there before sunset and you will have a 2 hour drive. A stay over night on Philip Island is recommended to make the most of that region.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
865 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Puffing Billing Railway station enquiry

Hello Irene

The shortest return trip on Puffing Billy is to Menzies Creek. To do this you must catch the 12:30 or 2:30 pm trains as these cross with the earlier trains returning to Belgrave. You buy a return ticket and when you arrive at Menzies Creek the return train will arrive on the opposite side of the platform. If you are travelling by car you may wish to start out early morning and visit the Tulip Festival first and then do the Puffing Billy at 12:30. This train wont be as busy as the earlier trains.

You can then travel to Philip Island but if you intend to see the penguin parade remember that you need to be there before sunset and you will have a 2 hour drive. A stay over night on Philip Island is recommended to make the most of that region.