We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on planned trip

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on planned trip

I will be traveling with a family of 7 to Melbourne on 29 August 2014 (arriving early 30 August) and leaving Melbourne on 3 September (early in the morning). This is our first trip to Australia and totally at lost. Please advice on my planned itinerary as we want to have a wonderful time in Melbourne by shopping, fruit picking (but don't know where to go) and sight seeing. Please assist me, thank you.

DAY 1 (Saturday)

1. Check-in hotel

2. Victoria Market

3. Dockland (DFO)

4. Yarra River

5. Flinder Street Station

6. Hosier Lane

7. St Kilda (night – watch penguin)

DAY 2 (Sunday)

1. Camberwell Sunday Market

2. DFO, Essendon

3. Any other suggestions??

DAY 3 (Monday)

1. Great Ocean

2. Mornington Peninsular – don’t know what is worth going there?

3. Any other suggestions

DAY 4 (Tuesday)

Leaving Melbourne

KAY

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on planned trip

Day 3 a tour with one of the small group tours to the GOR will take all day early morning pickup and drop off late in the evening.

Re Mornington peninsula I would catch a bus down to Sorrento and do a trip on the ferry to Queenscliff. This can be done as a day trip.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 04:29
Oz
Level Contributor
12,381 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on planned trip

Hi,

Without knowing anything about your likes, dislikes, wants, need or interests it is impossible to advise you other than to suggest you add additional days or remove some of the numbers in your group.

Having a group of eight to coordinate sounds like trying to herd mullet to me.

Cheers,

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on planned trip

Yes, as Famrick says, the Great Ocean Road is a full day, a very full day, so you will not have time for anything else on that day. I presume you are planning to take a tour?

I know you said you are interested in shopping but what do you want to buy? I am not sure there is so much of value or uniqueness to justify the emphasis on shopping in your draft itinerary, but I suppose it depends on what exactly you want. I am especially wondering why visit two DFO's? I am not from Melbourne so I don't know, are the two DFO's very different to make it worthwhile going to both?

Edit: >>Having a group of eight to coordinate sounds like trying to herd mullet to me.<< LOL. I agree. Keeping such a large group all happy and on schedule is a challenge.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 04:50
Alligator Creek...
Level Contributor
29 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on planned trip

It would take approximately 3 hours to drive from Melbourne to the end of the GOR at Warrnambool - and that's without any stops! You won't get to see much of it if you're also intending to go to the Mornington Pen. There is probably more Oooh and Aaah scenery along the GOR but you're unlikely to get the whole length of it in a day. REmember that a coach tour is only going to stop where they want - not where you want!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on planned trip

I agree with the above suggestions, 1 day is not enough time to see the all the highlights of the GOR. So, I would suggest dropping the Mornington Peninsula and do a day tour of GOR.

Re: fruit picking. The fruit picking season usually begins in Nov unless you want to visit an orchard (apples)

I assume you have a car?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice on planned trip

Thank you Famrick, we are driving and thus not be taking tour. Based on responses and advices from fellow trip advisors, we decided to drop Mornington peninsular from our itinerary.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice on planned trip

Thank you for all fellow trip advisors. Based on your advice, we decided to drop Mornington Peninsular from our itinerary and concentrate just for GOR Day 3.

It is quite difficult to drop the number of people in our group which is only 6 adults and 1 toddler. Pertaining to DFO, I just want to visit DFO in Melbourne as this is my first ever visit to Melbourne or even Australia. Would you advice me to just go to Essendon or Dockland? My 21 year old daughter is looking forward to it.

It would be great if we can go for fruit picking especially fruits that are not available in our country, Malaysia. Even apple picking sounds great as the only apples we have in our country is at the supermarket. As we are renting a car, driving out will pose no problem.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,558 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice on planned trip

OK, do NOT try to self drive the GOR in one day, it's dangerous for people who aren't familiar with driving in Australia.

For fruit picking, Rayners orchard in the Yarra Valley has fruit all year round, though picking may be limited. You can do a tractor tour & the fruit trees might be blossoming while you are here. http://www.raynerstonefruit.com.au/

I also agree that there's no need to go to 2 DFO's. I personally find the DFO at Southbank has a good selection of shops & some good bargains, so that would be my choice.

Camberwell Sunday Market is a trash & treasure market, so it is mainly 2nd hand product. Not sure if that is what you are expecting.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
60 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice on planned trip

Thank you Ellenwillow for your much appreciated advice especially on the fruit picking. DFO Southbank sounds good enough (thus no need to go other DFOs). As for the Camberwell Sunday Market, we intend to purchase a 2nd hand winter wear since coming from all year summer country, it will be of waste of buying a new winter wear which we cannot use. The winter wear is intended for our international visit during cold season.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,017 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice on planned trip

>>Thank you Famrick, we are driving and thus not be taking tour.<<

>>It is quite difficult to drop the number of people in our group which is only 6 adults and 1 toddler.<<

We are not suggesting you drop the number of people! We are emphasising the need to allow more time and some flexibility when sightseeing with a group that size, and including a toddler.

What is busy for one energetic adult can become very rushed and unenjoyable for a group and completely disorganised and unpleasant for a group with a tired hungry bored cranky toddler in tow. Plan accordingly.

Unless you can spend 2 or 3 days along the Great Ocean Road do not drive it yourselves. An experienced local driver in a tour company minibus can ensure that you see the main sights in one (very long) day. An inexperienced driver trying to sightsee while driving an unfamiliar large vehicle along an unfamiliar and challenging winding route in minimal time is like planning to make problems. Please read the driving FAQ and please heed the warnings regarding the GOR as we do not want you to be the subject of the next GOR news story.

Edited: 25 August 2014, 07:31