We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
118 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

This is the 1st time we travel Melbourne on coming mid of Sept.

I would like to know how to travel from one to another, & How much it cost for one person?

1st day

1) from Melbourne airport to Olinda village

2) After I place my baggage in the B&B, from Olinda village to Puffying Billy Train

2nd day

1) from Olinda village to Yarra Valley

2) from Yarra Valley to Warratina Lavender Farm

3) from Warratina Lavender Farm to Skyhigh Mt Dandenong

4) from Skyhigh Mt Dandenong back to Olinda village

3rd day

1) from Olinda village to Dandenong Ranges Natinal Park

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,578 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

This trip is going to be challenging using public transport as you will be relying on buses which may not run very often. They may not even go to the destinations you want to visit. Use this website to plan your trips so you know which bus to catch & when http://ptv.vic.gov.au/

Where about in the Yarra Valley do you want to go? It's a large region, not a single destination.

What time does your flight arrive? To get to Olinda, take Skybus to the city, then suburban train & bus to Olinda. Please use the above trip planner to work out which trains & buses to take. There might be a airport bus service to Mt Dandenong, but I'll let you google that. Please also check the Puffing Billy timetable as the train only leaves from Belgrave a few times each day, so if you arrive too late you might miss it.

It might also be worth contacting your accommodation & letting them know that you won't have a car & asking them for advice on how to get around. They will be more familiar with the bus services in the Dandenong ranges.

Edited: 23 August 2014, 21:36
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

Do you have a drivers licence? If you do, the most convenient way would be to rent a car and then go to Airport West Shopping Centre to buy yourself a cheap $75-130 GPS unit to direct you around.

To get to Olinda initially, you could also book the Airport Bus Eastside which will take you door to door for $115 per person though having said that, I'd happily take you for $115 per person too!

Another alternative is to take the Airport Bus Eastside to Box Hill for $30p.p. where it drops you off reasonably close to the underground train station, then intercept the public train to Belgrave and the bus to Olinda.

Have you checked the distances you intend to cover? It is probably around 80kms from the airport to Olinda, though admittedly it is a very lovely area so worth visiting. Bus services in the outer areas of Melbourne are not designed with tourists in mind so you may be wasting a lot of time.

I suggest for you to do a lot of research and have your transportation well planned before arriving, like the previous response says, use the PTV trip planner.

The link for Airport Bus Eastside (different to Skybus which goes to Spencer Street/Southern Cross train station in the CBD) is http://www.airportbus.com.au

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

Public transport in the Dandenong Ranges and Yarra Valley is very poor - please consider hiring a car or rethinking your itinerary.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

Hi,

Thanks a lot for all replies :)

We have decided to rent a car instead of taking public transport.

My planning as below, kindly give advice where the toll charges & traffic I need to take notice?

(Tue, Wed, Thurs)

Tue) flight arrive 6.30am, I take my car 8am @airport to Yarra valley for wine producing, wine testing;

Where is the location for wine producing, wine testing? is good time to visit on mid Sept?

> Warratine Lavender Farm > Skyhigh Mt Dandenong

Wed) Puffying Billy Train > Rhododendron Gardens

Thurs) Dandenong Ranges National Park > Olinda Village > Sassafras Village

Which day is the best I can insert 1) Blue Hills berries 2) Kookaberry?

(Fri, Sat, Sun)

Fri) travel to Melbourne city returning the car, travel around the city in major attraction for 3 days using Public Transport. What kinds of transport card I need to buy in order visit to St Kilda Beach?

Mon) to rent a car from Melbourne city to Great Ocean Road for 2 days.

Is two days enough to cover along from Torquay up to London Bridge?

Wed) from Great Ocean Rd drive to Melbourne airport.

Thanks many!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

Re: fruit picking. It generally does not start till Nov so I don't know what you are expecting to see or do. The fruit they will have there will be frozen or produce made from the fruit, e.g. jams. Also, the Kookaberry strawberry farm is not a u-pick farm so don't expect to be picking your own strawberries.

Also, just a note: if you are going to drink at the wineries (& then drive), please aware there is an alcohol limit and a zero alcohol if you are on probationary license. See this RACV site for more general info: http://tinyurl.com/o5x2452

Edited: 24 August 2014, 13:08
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

Please reconsider your first day.

To spend the night on a flight getting very little sleep and immediately hop into an unfamiliar car, drive on unfamiliar roads in a strange country with different road rules and driving culture to what you are used to for a day of wine tasting is utter madness and a recipe for disaster.

Spend your first day relaxing in Melbourne, get a good nights sleep then head off.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

After you pass through the town of Lilydale, you will start to see numerous brown road signs with a "bunch of grapes" symbol and the winery names, showing which direction each winery is in. There are plenty in the area though I cannot recommend any specific one as I don't have enough experience. What I would suggest is after passing Lilydale on the Maroondah Highway, veer left onto the Melba Highway (B300) and explore some wineries in that area. You could then also visit the Yarra Valley Chocolaterie near Yarra Glen for some coffee and chocolate products, then the Yarra Valley Dairy just off St. Huberts Road for some cheese tasting, then drive along St. Huberts Road where there are several wineries before re-intercepting the Maroondah Highway and turning left towards Healesville for some further exploring. If you have time you could visit the Healesville Sanctuary to see the wildlife, or while in the Melba Highway area you could go see the guys/girls at Lilydale Airport (on Macintyre Lane) for a scenic flight around the area (or even a scenic flight over Melbourne City).

Yering Station is another popular winery in that region.

As the previous posts warn, do not drive around drunk, the blood alcohol limit for a full licence holder is 0.05 and the local police are used to tourists so they'll know what to look out for. Oh and make sure to have a good road map or GPS, not just a free tourist map or something like that, if you want to have an easy time oftouring the area.

I think September should be a nice time to visit the area as it will be the start of Spring & flowers will be starting to bloom.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,467 posts
279 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

In addition to my last post:

Blue Hills Berries is closed between April and October as it is not the fruit picking season. They may be there to sell you some frozen fruit but you'd need to ring first to see if they are home, but I personally wouldn't wish to impose unless I was definitely going to buy a significant amount. It is a similar story with Kookaberry who open the farm up between October and June.

In relation to the Great Ocean Road, I think 2 days is a good amount of time to spend on it. If you get to around Port Campbell, visit the Apostle Whey Dairy for some cheese tasting: http://www.apostlewheycheese.com.au

To use Melbourne's public transport you will need to purchase a stored value card called Myki. You then need to "touch on" & "touch off" before & after every trip - at the proximity card readers on buses and trams, and at train station entrances/exits. There is a machine at the arrivals hall at Melbourne International Airport where you can buy these, or you can do it when required at any train station (as well as other outlets).

To get to St. Kilda catch the #96 tram along Bourke Street in Melbourne CBD and go to the end of the line on Acland Street. Many nice cafés, cake shops and restaurants there, I recommend Monarch Cakes, or the jam doughnuts at Europa Cakes. If you're really game you could walk along the Esplanade/beach back to Port Melbourne and then catch the #109 tram back to the CBD. It's a fairly long walk though.

There is also a market in St. Kilda on every Sunday:

http://www.stkildaesplanademarket.com.au

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
50 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

Hi,

I am so glad to all the replies, & thanks very very much!

No worries, we are not going to drink a lot in winery ;)

I just want to driving around & visit some Vineyard, testing their wine & buy a few bottles of wine back to my country.

But now my question is can I see grapes in mid Sept? is it still intesting if no grapes?

As I travelled to Perth Vineyard early Sept, but cannot see any grapes ;(

If I cannot see grapes, I may change my itinerary as below, kindly advice!

Tue) > Dandenong Ranges National Park (any operating hours or entrance ticket?)

> Olinda village & Sassafras Village

Wed) > Puffying Billy Train

> Warratina Lavender Farm

> Skyhigh Mt Dandenong

We will not going visit to Healesville Sanctuary as we had visited Wildlife park in Perth before.

Now I am thinking shall I spend 2 days as above attraction instead? Then spend 3 days in Great Ocean Road as below attraction?

* Torquary * Lorne

* Loch Ard Gorge * The Arch

* The Grotto * Bay of Islands

* London Bridge * 12 Apostles

* Kenneth River spot koala & etc.

How long I got to walk so that I can see Cape Otway Lighthouse?

Is some attraction above in the Port Campbell National Park?

* Gibson steps

* Along Old Peterborough Rd spot wild Kangaroo

I don't have a good plan yet in this 2 or 3 days trip along Gread Ocean Road, all above attractions I read from Tripadvisor! Anyone can help me in this ;(

I drive from St Kilda Rd to Great Ocean Rd, shall I stay in Apollo Bay in the 1st night? the last night where should I stay as next day I need to drive to Airport return the car & flight 3.40pm? I hope to stay nearer Airport to shorten in drive & reduce the risk so that we are able to catch the flight.

Have a nice week ahead!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport to Olinda, & travel around by public transport

re: Warratina Lavender Farm. The lavender may not be in full bloom until Nov so just be aware to avoid disappointment.