We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

Thought you regulars might be interested in this article in the Guardian, after the recent posts asking about spiders and snakes in Melbourne.

Your thoughts?

To any of you tourists reading this, I was swimming at Bondi Beach 2 days ago and whilst I did see bluebottles swimming around, if you stay away from them, you don't get stung! Nor have I ever been bitten by a spider or swallowed by a shark. :)

…guardian.co.uk/article/2007/feb/06/travelne…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

Kate

Thanks for posting that article, I have been wondering why all of those posts lately about spiders and things. I even asked about it on another forum used by a lot of Poms & got a lot of strange answers.

What a dodgy article ir seems, has anyone here ever heard about 2433 dying in Australia in the last seven years" It also seems strange, although sad if true, that only 25 of them were kids. 25 out of 2433?

And then it goes on about the natural dangers here yet cites examples of deaths in car accidents. I wonder how many tourists including Aussies have been hurt or killed on British roads.

Have tp laugh at the line

"More than five million people visit Australia every year, among them 800,000 British visitors, and most go home without injury."

Sounds like only 400001 Poms go home totally unscathed. (The percentage of their cricketers going home scathed may be a lot higher though☺☺☺).

What a load of rubbish, no wonder they are all half scared out of their wits.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
7,822 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

This article is a regugitation of one in a Sydney newspaper last week.

Australian media trying to boost Australian tourism. I think not.

Just sensationalism which is typical of the particular newspaper.

Do the numbers mentioned in the article.

I wish my life was guaranteed as safe as this!!!

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

I had heard from work colleagues about the stinger suits you have to wear to swim and so on, but hadn't thought too much about any possible perils in Australia until I started reading Bill Brysons book Down Under. His travel books are pretty well read in the UK.

I'm visiting Oz shortly to see my daughter as well as the country, and thought Bryson's book might give me some ideas - well he loved Australia but does elaborate again and again about the crocodiles, box jellyfish, snakes and spiders and I wonder if this has helped to form these fears you now find in the UK. The story of the woman pottering on the shore in N. Queensland who was eaten whole by a saltwater crocodile ..... and so on. Media coverage doesn't help - the recent eating of a man by a shark was given full blown coverage here including reconstructions of what it must have been like for him.

So for the Poms whose only hazard here is stepping on a weever fish it can seem a bit scary..........

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

Whitefamily,

Put away the Bill Bryson and forget about all of those things. Do you have a road toll in the UK, have you ever had political unrest & riots and (heaven forbid) have you had terrorist problems? Did they directly affect your life, did you stop doing things? You have as many potential hazards in the UK as there are in Australia, probably more.

Let me ask some more questions. When you come to Australia do you plan to swim in areas marked with crocodile warning signs? Do you plan to dangle your feet into rivers known to be inhabitated by crocs? Do you plan to go abalone diving in 30 meters of water off a very rough coast to make money? These are the actual circumstances of the examples you cite. Still very sad but

If you are just going to visit family in any of the major cities and visiting local areas , beaches country side etc, you are as safe or safer than your are in the UK.

Back to Bill "know-all" Bryson the sad thing is that from what I have read of him he doesn't warn potential tourists to OZ about the two of the dangers I think are really relevant and that they are most likely to encounter and that is dangerous rips on beaches and the need to swim in patrolled areas and the absolute real dangers of bushfires in Australia. Just not sexy enough for Bill. Wouldn't sell books.

County Durham
Level Contributor
41 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

Reading this book at the moment - I really like the bit where Bill talks at length (2 or 3 paragraphs) about the danger of rips and how over 200 hundred people were washed out to sea (all but six were rescued).

Guess you should read the book before passing comment!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

For our english friends...I found catching the "Tube" far more scary than any of the wildlife in Australia.

Most times you'll only come across something dangerous while you're visting one of our splendid zoo's. The average Austalian has only ever seen a crocodile or a snake at a zoo or on TV.

You'd have more chance of winning back the cricket ashes than being eaten by a crocodile....reality check peoples :P

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,515 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

How funny dwardle.!!!!

I looooove Bill Bryson and I usually find most of his observations to be spot on - including those about Australia - but especially about his home country. We read two of his books before we traveled to the US and kept saying ot each other - hey its just like Bill said - and I'm sure travellers to this country do the same!

It is never a bad thing to look at ourselves as other see us.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

Personally I love Bill Bryson, attended a lunch on Monday where he was speaking and he is very funny. Agree that he harps on about the 'dangers' in Australia including rips, bluebottles, and crocs, but AussieJohn is right when he says that the people injured recently by sharks were in risky situations (ie. abalone diving - it is a risk you take).

A number of the tourists who are taken by crocs have not read - or ignored - the warning signs. Another recent example was a guy up in the Northern Territory who had skipped bail. The police came round to get him that night and he ran down the back garden to a nearby river. The police didn't get him until a crocodile did - but again this guy shouldn't have skipped bail!!

You will all be fine. As has been said before, just be careful in the bush and keep an eye open, swim between the flags and you'll be fine.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
3,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

dwardle

I would couldn't live long enough to find time to read anymore Bill Bryson. Sesationalist cr@p designed purely to sell books, he may as well be writing for one of your Sunday papers. I hardly think 2 or 3 paragraphs is "talking at length" about the dangers of rips compared to the amount of time he drones on about the risks from crocs, spiders & snakes and other nasties which you are most unlikely to see unless you set out to find them. I must look up his book (briefly) to see if he actually offers any useful advice about rips or is it just sensationalising again?

And Noozie not suprised one iota that you looove Bill Bryson.☺☺☺

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,515 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re: Australia and its creepy crawlies

AJ -BB is not meant to be taken literally (as are newspapers) . He is a SATIRIST. Perhaps you should look that one up too.