We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
527 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

We're just about to leave on a month long trip to Oz - Sydney/Blue Mountains/Adelaide/Kangaroo Island/Perth/Coral Bay, then down to Albany, Denmark, Margaret River, Freo then home.

We're taking our children who are 9 and 12.

Can anyone recommend any trips which incorporate an Aboriginal theme - nothing too full-on but more of an intro (lifestyle, beliefs, dance etc) - and anything to do with Bushtucker so long as we're not expected to eat witchety grubs!(we can thank 'I'm a Celeb Get Me Out of Here! for that one)

Seem to be all sorts of foody things advertised around MR but we won't be sampling the wines (well one or two maybe to be polite!) or too many of the honey, chocs, sweets etc etc etc. So we're really looking for the different things .....

Many thanks for your thoughts. Sarah

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,817 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

You could try

http://www.bushtuckertours.com/river.html

or

http://www.wardan.com.au/

PS witchety grubs taste perfectly fine.

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
527 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

They have to eat them raw on TV - reckon I might just cope with the tail end roasted!

Anyway, many thanks for the quick reply (early riser!) - the Bushtucker Tours at MR might just hit the spot as it looks like a great mix.

Sarah

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,315 posts
1,484 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

Hi Sarah,

I know nothing about Aboriginal tucker food in WA but I would like to wish you and your family a very eventful, happy, fun and inspiring holiday.

Keep safe and happy travelling,

EM.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

I've done that cave, canoe and bushtucker tour at Margaret River with my kids (aged 11 and 14 at the time) and we had a blast! You will be offered a lot of choices of bushtucker--both flora and fauna. If they offer you the witchetty grub pate, be sure to try it. They mix it with a lot of spices, so you can't really tell what you are eating. It was delicious, plus the kids got to tell their friends they ate witchetty grub!

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
527 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

This trip looks right up our street but I've just got a couple of questions for Longhorn:

Did you book ahead and if so how far ahead (a few days?) - we are there mon/tue after the Easter w/e and know all accomm is booked up and wonder how popular this trip is?

Re the Bushtucker bit - is the lunch purely 'bushtucker'? - reckon it might be worth popping a couple of safe/recognisable snacks in a pocket in case the children aren't quite as brave as yours were!

Many thanks and can't wait to go!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,823 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

We were there during Easter holidays as well. I usually book things well in advance of our trips, so I probably booked this tour 2 - 4 weeks in advance. There were quite a few people on our tour, but I don't know if it was completely booked out.

The only food available is bushtucker and there are not great quantities of it. So, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take some snacks with you in case you don't care for the bushtucker or in case you and the kids are still hungry. I'd also definitely plan on taking some water as well.

Hope you had as much fun as we did!

Highworth, United...
Level Contributor
527 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

Sounds like bookings a smart idea - another thing to add to the list before Wed! And our own mini tucker bag seems the way to go (just in case we don't get enough protein from the grubs) - anything to save us being labelled the whinging poms! Thanks again ...

8. Re: Where can we dip into Aboriginal Culture and/or Bushtucker?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 19:20