We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Virgin Blue Airlines

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
302 reviews
Save Topic
Virgin Blue Airlines

Good morning, and Happy Canada Day!

My wife and I arrive in Sydney Dec 23 and want to fly to both Tasmania and Perth areas. We've reviewed the prices on offer from Virgin Blue and they seem remarkably affordable. The cynic in me wonders why. Can anyone comment on the airline as far as safety, service, efficiency, etc goes? Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks so much,

Late Day Traveller,

Ontario,

Canada

gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,280 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Hi LDT

Virgin Blue are a great airline and yes, very safe. 2 things to remember when booking a fare with them though:

1. you have to buy your own food/drinks

2. they charge for checked luggage

Service is always top notch!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,226 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Opinons differ on the quality of their service, (I'm not a fan at all) but never fear, they are entirely reputible and safe. You'll have to add on extra $$ to check in luggage and to eat or drink on the flight or to use seat back entertainment, but they'll get you from A to B without too much fuss or bother - in fact, in most respects they probably actually rate better than most US "legacy" cariers' domestic products....so if you've flown domestically in the US any time recently, you can expect much the same from Virgin Blue and Jetstar in Australia.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Some people carry there own picnic bags on board. We bought our sandwiches at the airport and fruit juices. Also brought teabags/coffee and milk cups from the hotel room (included in your hotel service) and asked for a cup of hot water which was free. Cold water was not free 'cos then you have to buy a bottle of springwater LOL.

Carry on luggage is only about 7 kgms.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Actually they ran out of some foods the day we travelled so choice was not hgreat. - Hence buying at the airport shops or elsewhere.

If you travel on the 'red-eye' flight you won't need much to eat. Its the last flight at night or near enough to and is usually cheapest.

What do you do for Canada Day? I noticed it on our calender. Happy Canada Day! Enjoy the festivities.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,389 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Flew Virgin Blue Perth-Sydney-Perth last year and it was fine. Was a little annoyed because although I had checked in online and selected the seats I wanted, they double booked the seats and gave them to the other group despite that my booking was made first. Otherwise no complaints.

Daughter just flew Perth-Melbourne and hasn't mentioned any problems.

Perth
Level Contributor
391 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Flew from Melbourne - Perth with them with no hassles. As mentioned no food and drink or entertainment included in the price but for only a short domestic flight that was easy enough to handle without any dramas. From Check in luggage was only a little bit extra and still very cheap considering.

Erica

WA Visitor Centre

Thunder Bay, Canada
Level Contributor
394 posts
302 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Thank you all for the input - as I had hoped, reliable, inexpensive and anything extra is....extra!

To Gardenboffin, we have what you probably call a cottage on a lake north of the cit. On Canada Day all the pontoon boats and runabouts decorate their craft with bunting, flags, etc, wear funny hats and do a slow cruise around the entire shoreline of the lake. We had a dozen folks over to watch from our deck - really quite fun! Thanks for thinking of us!

Kind regards,

Late Day Traveller

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Hi Late-Day-Traveller

Virgin Blue does charge for luggage- it depends on which ticket though. If you get one of their more expensive tickets they include 23kg of checked luggage for free. If though you book a cheaper ticket it only costs about $8 if you pay for it online but $20 if you pay for it at the airport.

I have no problems at all with service. It is far cheaper to buy sandwiches, drinks etc away from the airport. IMO airport food is just as overpriced as Virgin Food. Eat a proper meal somewhere before heading to the airport and then on arrival is my best advice.

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
193 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

Hi There

Check out Tiger Airlines as well as Qantas and Jetstar

www.tigerairlines.com - Part owned by Singapore Airlines

www.qantas.com.au - National Carrier

www.Jetstar.com - Qantas Low cost offshoot

Tiger fly from melbourne to Hobart (Tasmania) and Perth and may be cheaper than Virgin, They have only recently started flying between Sydney and Melbourne but by Dec may be flying more destinations.

Qantas can be reasonable as well.

In terms of what you get Qantas is full service whereas Virgin, Jetstar, and Tiger you pay for luggage, food and entertainment.

All of these are safe and pretty reliable in terms of not cancelling flights but as with everything someone will have a horror story about each one. I have been on all except jetstar and they were fine.

Hope that helps.

10. Re: Virgin Blue Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Western Australia