We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

Hi all,

My husband and I are heading down to Perth for 2 weeks in End Nov -Mid Dec. We have a 10 month old baby. We will be renting a car and driving, but are planning to base ourselves at a few places and exploring the nearby regions. We probably don't wish to rush around too much, not with a baby in tow.

Some of our thoughts are:

Fremantle: 2 - 3 days

MR region: 4 - 5 days

??: 3 days

Back to perth for a couple of days

1) Any suggestions on where else might be interesting to visit for a couple of days after the margaret river region? Any counter-proposals to the above is also welcomed.

2) For the MR region, where might be a good place as a base? I read some people suggesting Busselton/Yallingup/Dunsburough, but can't figure which of the three might be a better base.

Thanks!

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

I like Yallingup as a base, bit that's just because I've stayed in some nice cottages there and I like the area. The MR region is well spread out, but it's really quite easy to get from one place to the other, so I wouldn't stress over location unless you know exactly what you want to do and where you want to do it.

Busselton is about 30 minutes from MR. Dunsborough is closer, but I personally wouldn't stay there as I find it rather dull. The surrounding area is nice though (Bunker Bay, etc). Better options further south IMO.

It's easy enough to stop in Busselton and Dunsborough on the drive to MR from Perth.

How about Pemberton for those extra days? It's a small town surrounded by national parks and towering karri tree forests. Plenty to do in/around Pemberton and it's not too far from MR.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 23:32
tasmania
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

What does MR mean????

tasmania
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

What does MR mean???????

Edited: 03 November 2011, 01:17
Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

Margaret River

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,208 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

Do be aware you will need to hire a suitable child seat for your little one- this is mandated by law. (You can't bring one in from overseas.) Best to pre-book it to ensure the car hire company has one on hand.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
233 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

I'd be tempted to head inland and see a bit of different scenery after Margaret River.

It involves a lot of driving but I think driving from MR to hyden (6ish hours) to see wave rock, spend a night there and then on to kalgoorlie (6ish more hours) for 2 nights would really give to an opportunity to see a different side of WA. Kalgoorlie has a fantastic visitor centre where you can see the history of gold mining in the area and the superpit is amazing.

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies!

YF: Yes we are aware of the child seat laws. I was reading up on it. Thanks for the reminder!

Jess: Yes it's tempting to visit some of those regions but hubby doesn't want to drive so much so.... guess it's out for this visit. Maybe when we come back the next time and the bub is older, that may be more possible. :)

After reading around a little more, we are thinking we might do...

Airport - Fremantle - Pemberton - Margaret River Region - Perth

Now to think of a more detailed itinerary....

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
62 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

Hi Lifestorey,

We are currently holidaying in the SW with our 2-year-old boy. If you have not secured any accommodation, may I suggest you google this place called Margaret River Macs? We absolutely loved the place to bits! It's located right behind the township. You can literally go out the back door & be right smack in town! Very comfy King-sized bed, nice large country kitchen & 2-meter tall rain shower! We picked strawberries from the large back yard garden littered with fruit trees & many flowering plants....ah, I definitely want to come back again!

In Pemberton, we stayed in Pump Hill Farm (Valley facing cottage). The cottage itself is nothing great. Just your regular chalet-type accommodation....but it's what's right outside the cottage that blew our minds! Horses right at our door, sheep & goats right outside our backyard & free-running lambs, ducks & chicken everywhere! And most incredibly, no smell....how in the world did they do that?! The full glass back doors look out into the valley where goats, sheep & cows grazed....we did a OZ BBQ here surrounded by the animals...the boy still haven't stopped talking about Pump Hill Farm!

Both places are only about $150/- per night....very reasonable I think....give it a thought, ya? Hope the trip will be as great for yours family as its been for mine :-)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

Glad you're having a good time FatPunk - look forward to the full report!

Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary: 2 weeks self-drive in WA with a 10 month old

Thanks FATPunk for the tips! Will google those places that you've mentioned!